Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Japan - February 2020

Old Today, 17:11   #101
foresttwitcher

Thanks Andrew, I know what you mean but I was lucky enough to see Japanese Bush Warbler close by shortly before the mystery bird so did have a bit of a comparison and the appearance and behaviour seemed noticeably different. But I'll never know now! Only to be expected and not a bad thing I suppose.

Chris, if you mean on Miyakejima the other potential targets were Izu Robin (which I did hear), Styan's Grasshopper Warbler, Ijima's Leaf Warbler (although I was almost certainly too early) & Japanese Scops Owl but of course I wasn't expecting to see all, most or even any. The team of three on the island also saw Chinese Bamboo Partridge. Better views of the Wood Pigeon and Thrush would also have been nice but I guess that makes me sound a bit greedy! There was also the outside possibility of Temminck's Cormorant & Japanese Murrelet from the ferry - the others on board did see some unidentified auks but I could not get onto them! No complaints really as it was a great side-trip and you can't see everything! If you mean in Japan as a whole then the list of misses is longer.

Can't see the birds for the trees!

Last edited by foresttwitcher : Today at 17:12. Reason: Correction.
Old Today, 18:12   #102
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresttwitcher View Post
Chris, if you mean on Miyakejima the other potential targets were Izu Robin (which I did hear), Styan's Grasshopper Warbler, Ijima's Leaf Warbler (although I was almost certainly too early) & Japanese Scops Owl but of course I wasn't expecting to see all, most or even any. The team of three on the island also saw Chinese Bamboo Partridge. Better views of the Wood Pigeon and Thrush would also have been nice but I guess that makes me sound a bit greedy! There was also the outside possibility of Temminck's Cormorant & Japanese Murrelet from the ferry - the others on board did see some unidentified auks but I could not get onto them! No complaints really as it was a great side-trip and you can't see everything! If you mean in Japan as a whole then the list of misses is longer.
No, this is exactly what I meant Pete, many thanks! I agree, you should be more than happy with the results from the day!

Chris

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: