• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emails with viruses (1 Viewer)

scampo

Steve Campsall
I was wondering if anyone else is suffering a slew of emails containing viruses today? After weeks without hardly a single one, I've had at least a dozen so far today. Thankfully my auot-updating anti-virus software always catches them. I also get "mail returned" messages that have been stopped by anti-virus checkers even though I never sebt the email in the first place. All very annoying as I regularly check my PCs for viruses and haven't had one yet.

scampo said:
I was wondering if anyone else is suffering a slew of emails containing viruses today? After weeks without hardly a single one, I've had at least a dozen so far today. Thankfully my auot-updating anti-virus software always catches them. I also get "mail returned" messages that have been stopped by anti-virus checkers even though I never sebt the email in the first place. All very annoying as I regularly check my PCs for viruses and haven't had one yet.
We've received over 100 this morning @ work! Mostly from bogus addresses using our domain name.
And, yes, some "mail returned" as well

Just found this on BT openworld (my home ISP):

"BT Openworld would like to warn its customers about a rapidly spreading email virus.

The Bagle¹ windows worm arrives in the form of an email posing as a test message that has an attachment. If opened it runs a programme that plunders address books for email addresses and uses an in-built mail program to send itself to new victims.

Sometimes the attached file bears an icon that makes it look like it is a calculator.

The Bagle worm can be spotted in e-mail inboxes as it always has a subject line that reads simply: "Hi". On no account should customers open the attachments to these emails.

This is what we have been getting here at work

Yes I too have had a torrent of this garbage, well over 120 so far between my 3 e-mail address's, some appear to be from my own e-mail address! but a virus check confirms I am clean. It would appear that they can spoof e-mail address's as most are from Tom at nigelblake.co.uk, an address that I have never set up, and it is not listed as one of my e-mails on my server... How do these Bas***ds do this.

I got a message today from Symantec about a new e mail virus - details here If you have the latest update from 26/1/2004 you are protected.

nigelblake said:
... How do these Bas***ds do this.
Nigel, I think the real question is why?
What do they get out of it?.....................on second thoughts, don't answer that, I've just had visions of some pimply nerd shut away in darkened room........<shudder>

M N Reeder said:
I've had 2 so far + 1 mail returned. We had at least 7 at work this PM.

Mark

Please note, everyone, that some of the 'mail returned' Aren't - they are just another attempt at getting users to drop their guard!

Please double-check that your Anti-virus progs ARE auto-updating (I came across one Norton AV today that wasn't), Latest updates need to be from the 26th or later of this month to catch the latest nasty!

Regards,

Andy.

Same here. Loads and loads of rubbish coming in all the time. I noticed that my Antivirus did an update yesterday, so it looks like its stopping the actual virus, but I still get the 'shell' of the email to delete!

AndyC

SimonC said:
Just found this on BT openworld (my home ISP):

"BT Openworld would like to warn its customers about a rapidly spreading email virus.

snip

If you use BT Openworld, can you use the BT/Yahoo email option? This gives a 50Mb web interface with spam filtering (quite efficient - but check the bulk stuff for legitimate mail), you can still download it via your normal mail app. after it's been filtered.

I use it for a PAYG account at BTInternet.

Cheers,

Andy.

Grousemore said:
Does anyone know if one can rely on all the latest viruses being identified by all anti-virus software?
I don't think that will ever be true. Which is why we should all take reasonable precautions with e mails from unknown sources (I delete them immediately) AND keep anti-virus software up-to-date.

Symantec do almost daily releases which I check for and install, but nobody would claim this is perfect.

The odd thing is that I have had hardly one virus infected email in the last few months then this lot - another six just now.

Even my previously 100% proof spam filter is now letting through two or three spam emails a day.

Regarding why these computer nerds do this, you only have to teach certain types of lad (not sexist!) to understand why they get up to this kind of thing. Basically, they spend their whole time glued to their PC - naturally, they don't have enough to do to keep them at their PC all this time, so, what do you know - they invent a virus or an email programme and so on to fill in the gaps when they can't find anyone to e-chat to.

Sad - in their very own sense of the word. But then we might ask why lots of things happen on the Net these days, from the trivial to the deeply concerning.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back