• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Ian Cockburn

Any advice on Compact Binoculars up to £300 for the wife of a friend who is interested in birds and other nature?

many thanks, Ian Cockburn

Compact binoculars are usually 25mm or under. Agree that the Kowa falls nicely into that category but why not a lightweight pair of 8 x 32 for all round wildlife watching? A close focusing pair would also allow butterflies, insects etc to be observed.

There are a few interesting offers, price wise, of the Bresser Montana 8x25 DK down to around £275.00 incl. VAT from MillionStore amongst others.

If I wanted an 8x25 I would probably buy one but I'm content with a grab 'n glass featherweight 8x32 of which there are several well reviewed and widely owned choices.

Best of luck.

Regards, Steve

.............but why not a lightweight pair of 8 x 32 for all round wildlife watching? A close focusing pair would also allow butterflies, insects etc to be observed.

From my experience the compacts are more difficult to us,
I agree with the 8x32mm suggestion,
or maybe that new Kiwa 6.5x32

edj

Hi,

some 8x32 model would also be my choice. If the new Kowa XD II in 8x32 (or even 6.5x32 for extra wide field) fit the budget, why not - the reviews are certainly good.

Honorable mentions in regard to "other nature" being watched too - the Pentax Papilio II in 6.5x21 (I think the 8.5x version is less good) is just ok for birds but light, compact and brilliant for watching insects and flowers up close...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back