• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 or Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 if the price difference is $750 CAD ? (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I have purchased the Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 recently and I really like them but I'm wondering if I should return them to Amazon and purchase the Monarch HG instead.

I have paid $600 for the M7 and the best price that I have found in Canada for the MHG is $1350 with the shipping and the taxes included.

I don't want to have the temptation to upgrade the M7 every year so that's the reason why I'm asking if it's worth paying more money to get the MHG 8x42?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

Last edited:
Hi Pat,

There is an element of chance in purchasing any binocular.

You like the Monarch 7 and I note that price appears to be one of your major considerations.

Indeed, the Monarch 7 could be perfect for you! Have you used it long enough to be secure with it as your primary binocular? Or should you return it and take a chance on the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42 instead?

In my case, I bought a Monarch HG 8x42 when it first came out through Camera Land because I wanted to see how good it was.

I was very happy with it but within 2 weeks I found out that it had a "wandering diopter" and I had to send it back to Nikon under warranty.

These things happen. Nikon honored the warranty and sent me a new Monarch HG to replace it. This one works perfectly and I have been using it for well over a year and it is an excellent binocular. But there is still that nagging inconvenience involved in getting it right. I have no complaint with Nikon's QC nor have I heard of any continuing problems of this nature with the Monarch 8x42 HG and I am certainly pleased with Nikon's warranty!

If you find that you are happy with the Monarch 7 after using it for a while I think you will know when you are ready for an upgrade of it

Bob

Last edited:
Quite frankly, most folks should be and will be happy and content with a Monarch 7 binocular. I say use the Monarch 7 for a while.

Saturday we had 19 in our birding group. I'd say all but about six were avid birders. FIVE of us(me included) had a binocular more expensive than about $500 US dollars.

The OP seems like he wants “quality” and the idea of “what if” will always be in the back of his mind. If that’s the case, by all means return them to Amazon and get the HG.

That extra $750 Canadian will bring you peace of mind and better glass to boot. Whether or not your eyes are good enough to tell much of a difference between the two is irrelevant, as peace of mind is far more important to some of us.|:d|

I don't think I would pay $1350.00 for a Nikon MHG 8x42 when for another $300.00 you can get a new Nikon EDG 8x42 brand new from Japan.

The OP was quoting Canadian dollars, so the EDG's from Japan are more like $CAN 2260. The quoted $CAN 1350 at 1.33 exchange rate is about $1,000 US. Still seems a little high, but not way off the charts.

I think the OP is doing just fine keeping the Monarch 7's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back