• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommended distance from a squirrel deterring dome to the top of a tubular feeder (1 Viewer)

steelyjoe

Hello, to prevent squirrels from hogging bird food,
what is the recommended distance
from a squirrel deterring dome
to the top of a tubular feeder?
Directly atop or x inches above?
And should the dome be firmly affixed to a chain or should it be floating?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Joe, I mount a series of feeders on plant hooks from Home Depot on a 3" aluminum pole ~9 foot tall. My 'preventer' is a cone about 3-4' off the ground. The birds throw enough seed overboard that the squirrels congregate around the base, but they cannot get up.

I tried an overhead version off a single hangar and even sprayed it with silicone, but the buggers are expert acrobats and once-set-their-mind to a problem - find a solution. I had to move my rig about 4' away from a split rail fence - because one could 'make the jump'. Sorry, I do not have a picture handy. Cheers.

Jim

I agree with Jim on this. I have six feeders on 3 shepherd's crook style poles. I have conical baffles below the feeders on two of the poles and a tubular baffle on one. I have zero squirrel problems, they simply can't reach the feeders. If they can climb up the pole then they can probably jump on to the feeder before even reaching the dome.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back