• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2020 (2 Viewers)

We walked to the top of Puig de Maria in Pollenca this morning hoping to see woodchat shrike, sadly no signs. We stopped at the cafe at the top and had almost eye level views of a single griffon vulture. Also saw peregrine and 4 kestrels together. Goldcrest, blackcap, serin, Sardinian warbler and plenty of black redstarts in the woods on the way up. The best days weather so far this week and a lovely morning out. Tomorrow we head south for some sea watching around Porto Petro

DB4DCDA0-ADF4-4D54-AC9A-0BC13E57B772.jpegSpent the day with Lisa in the south with Mike and Jane at Porto Petro. Combined a couple of gentle walks with some sea watching and lunch. Quite a few Scopoli shearwater seen from the light house. A single flamingo still in the water at Mondrago. A really lovely day with wonderful company. I’ll get back to the serious stuff next week!

Hello!
I attach the list of the birds seen in la Gola this morning.
Regards,
Cristina.

Attachments

• 100_3677.JPG
    100_3677.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 37
The wind has dropped which made seawatching tonight much more pleasurable.
546 Balearic shearwaters passed through, mixed in with ever increasing numbers of Scopoli’s shearwaters, which totaled 197 this evening.
Just one Gannet was added to the list but Jason did see two Great skuas and two Mediterranean gulls just up the road at Porto Colom this morning.
I believe a couple of Marsh harriers were seen leaving the Island, going north this morning, so some raptor migration has begun.
Mike

Great to see Mike and Phil in the south again, here is a photo of a Turnstone from our visit to Colonia de Sant Jordi

Attachments

• Turnstone_5887.jpg
    Turnstone_5887.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 16
A fabulous walk through Parc Mondragó on this warm and sunny day. My wife called a Common Buzzard on the way and sure enough, one was circling overhead, calling as it went. It flew away to the north.
The rare bird alert went off a few times today, looks like Pep had a great day and birders were covering much of the Island today.
The Southern Grey Shrike is still at Pla de Lanzell, some Great skuas are still in the waters, Mediterranean gulls are now being seen, Italian sparrow still at Cap de Ses Salines and another, or the same, Common Buzzard was seen at Ternelles.
Perhaps Pep could post his crake sightings as I couldn’t quite translate them accurately.
A great day with lots more migration to come, it’s only just begun.
Mike

Hi!
Today it has been a very good day, also strange day, with some observations not confirmed completelly.
I was the morning at Cap Salines, waiting for a puffin, my target for this 2020; not good luck with the puffin, but at 9.30 arrived one black kite from the south and after few cycling, went on to the north.

Then at least 2 great skua were on the sea, between the lines of shearwaters; and then began the strange things:
1 group around 80 ducks, flying directly to SW, I lost them behind Cabrera, maybe common scooter? the pics are very far away and are not definitive.

I also saw 2 eagles (not harriers), dark chocolate color, flying to the south also!! very low, almost touching the sea surface several times, I coudnt identify them.

Evening at Prat de Sant Jordi I have seen one spotted crake, and at the same pool also one Jack Snipe. But the most unbelivible is than 300 meters away i am "almost" sure, not confirmed I have seen a very little crake, probably a Baillon's crake, but as I said, I cant confirm it.

That's birding! some great sightings, but some other just not confirmed, but anyway a very great day.

Attachments

• 111 gruo.jpg
    111 gruo.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 70
  • 124jjdj.jpg
    124jjdj.jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 58
Sounds a great day Pep but very frustrating. I hate seeing mystery birds, especially the eagles. I wonder what they could have been?
I have only ever seen one Puffin and that was just luck. After a big storm, one was reported by Crister and I saw it the next morning just after dawn. March is the best month I believe.
I can’t help with the ducks. I once saw a large group with Phil so I will try to find my old notes and see what they were.
Baillon’s crake is a possibility as there was one last year. I hope it gets refound. Well done!
Mike

It's always sad when there are fires, especially in reserves.

Hopefully the reed (I assume Arundo donax) will grow back pretty quickly and maybe not too much wildlife was destroyed. It may even be beneficial in rejuvinating the reedbed.

Martin

It's always sad when there are fires, especially in reserves.
Hopefully the reed (I assume Arundo donax) will grow back pretty quickly and maybe not too much wildlife was destroyed. It may even be beneficial in rejuvinating the reedbed.
Martin

I agree you completelly, maybe kind of benefit!!!

823A6030-3177-4899-9FF6-FB5E1B938C17.jpegAfter a few days of driving decided to stay close to Port de Pollenca today. Started close to home where there were around a dozen stone curlew in the usual field next to the Llenaire roundabout. On to Can Cuarassa which was very quiet before calling in at Albufereta. Plenty of corn buntings, a firecrest, curlew and greenshank and a couple of hoopoe. The star turns were a Kingfisher and an Osprey, both having success in catching their tea!!

I was very pleased to see that two Common Buzzard were reported from Parc Mondragó today by Jordi, which backs up my sighting of yesterday.
I’m not sure of the status of these birds but I think they must be migrants. I hope they stick around but it would be too much to ask for them to stay and breed.
Red kite only began breeding in the park a couple of years ago so you never know I guess.
Only a handful of Common Buzzard breed here in Mallorca.
Mike

Apparently, a British birder, or birders, photographed the eagle species reported by Pep on Sunday.
If anyone knows anything about the photos we would be very pleased to hear.
It seems a very exciting and important record so if we could find out more, it would be very helpful.
Thanks, Mike

Thanks Maties, the new book loks impressive. I will pick up a copy from Albufera.

Today I went to Pla de Lanzell to look for the Iberian (Southern) Grey Shrike, for the third time. After a couple of hours scanning from the road unsucessfully, I went into the field to the far fig tree, and from there I saw it 200 metres away on the pergola behind the little house on the road. By the time I walked/ran to the house, of course it had disappeared. After another long wait by the house I saw it was in the fig tree where I had first seen it from! So I only got the distant photo.

Attachments

• Shrike.jpg
    Shrike.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Iberian Grey Shrike_5986.jpg
    Iberian Grey Shrike_5986.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 41
Thanks Maties, the new book loks impressive. I will pick up a copy from Albufera.

Today I went to Pla de Lanzell to look for the Iberian (Southern) Grey Shrike, for the third time. After a couple of hours scanning from the road unsucessfully, I went into the field to the far fig tree, and from there I saw it 200 metres away on the pergola behind the little house on the road. By the time I walked/ran to the house, of course it had disappeared. After another long wait by the house I saw it was in the fig tree where I had first seen it from! So I only got the distant photo.

Hi Clive thanks for nice talking at Pla de Lansell. When I left without seeing Iberian Grey Shrike There was a nice Yellow wagtail thunbergi on the field near my car.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back