• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Military? (1 Viewer)

JerryLogan

Just wondering if anyone knows something about Nikon 8x32, roof prism, green armored Nikon binoculars - offered as military version.

Thanks and best to all,
Jerry

Save your money, they have issues with glare, and the coatings were lacking. They are built well but a bit behind other 8X32s.

Regards,

Andy W.

JerryLogan, post 1,
I have a Nikon military (green rubber) 8x30 in front of me now, it looks like a copy of the Zeiss Safari 8x30. It has coateds optics, so we may speak about different binoculars if an 8x32 is meant.
Gijs van Ginkel

JerryLogan, post 1,
I have a Nikon military (green rubber) 8x30 in front of me now, it looks like a copy of the Zeiss Safari 8x30. It has coateds optics, so we may speak about different binoculars if an 8x32 is meant.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs - No, your powers of observation and attention exceed mine! It is an 8x30 with a 7.5 field of view. I saw an auction listing and wondered about the history more than possible purchase (thanks Andy). Hoping to know when and why they were made and who for (Japanese army?). Where they stand in development of roof binoculars (phase coating?).

Thanks and best,
Jerry

Jerry, A quick comparison between the Zeiss Safari 8x30 and the Nikon 8x30 showed a difference in color representation, I never investigated them both togther, so that will be a nice project for the future.
The Zeiss Safari does not have phase coatings and a maximum transmission of around 75%, so it is not the modern top. For those who like green tints: both binoculars have nice green rubber armoring.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs - No, your powers of observation and attention exceed mine! It is an 8x30 with a 7.5 field of view. I saw an auction listing and wondered about the history more than possible purchase (thanks Andy). Hoping to know when and why they were made and who for (Japanese army?). Where they stand in development of roof binoculars (phase coating?).

Thanks and best,
Jerry

Hello Jerry,

Not so much military as for hunting, as the name "safari" suggests. The original Zeiss Safari was not phase coated, except for a small lot of truly military binoculars made for the British Army.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Gijs,

Yes I stand corrected it is a Nikon 8X30 IF not a 8X32. I owned one in the past and I have seen some lately advertised as military. I believe they were made primarily for the commercial market. At the time of production of the 8X30 IF green roof, I much preferred the Nikon E 8X30 porro with the updated coatings.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back