• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local Listing In Precarious Times (1 Viewer)

What I meant was that I'm sure I read that you'd seen the Short-toed Eagle and others whilst out driving; was that the case, or had you since seen one from home/walking?

Cheers!

Ok, sorry I hadn't read/understood the rules, then probably more than half of my list can be deleted, as I haven't seen much from home or its immediate vicinity. I'll make another list and post it. Sorry about that! ;)

Added Firecrest, Crested Tit, Starling and Serin today. The Serin was the first here this year, on exactly the same date as the first one in 2017! Two more Red Kite too, migrating this time.
Pretty consistent daily totals since we started this: Sat 32, Sun 33, today 32!

Attachments

• Serin 23.3.20.jpg
    Serin 23.3.20.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The UK has entered the next phase - not quite lockdown, but shutdown. I guess this means that all UK residents are now fully eligible to participate ... (including self.)

Looking forward to your list 3IB ... ;)

Here's my amended list. 28 species so far. It has to be said that it includes species seen before the stricter measures that came into force a few days ago, when we were still allowed to exercise in town.

1. Coal Tit
2. Marsh Tit
3. Blue Tit
4. Great Tit
5. Siskin
6. Chaffinch
7. Goldfinch
8. Blackcap
9. Wren
10. Grey Wagtail
11. Brambling
12. Greenfinch
13. Hawfinch
14. Blackbird
15. Green Woodpecker
16. Robin
17. Magpie
18. Hooded Crow
19. Collared Dove
20. Wood Pigeon
21. Jay
22. Black Redstart
23. Chiffchaff
24. Long-tailed Tit
25. Tree Sparrow
26. Moorhen
27. Song Thrush
28. Firecrest

Here's my amended list. 28 species so far. It has to be said that it includes species seen before the stricter measures that came into force a few days ago, when we were still allowed to exercise in town.

I've updated the list - appears to be up to 90 now. A few nice additions, and maybe there would be some earlier dates too ...

UK now in 'lockdown' too, albeit with the 'some exercise' rule in place. Lockdown light I guess ...

I've added Nutcrackers additions - not going to quibble ;)

Attachments

• BirdForum 24th March.pdf
    161.9 KB · Views: 16
Collared Dove in flight behind the garden this morning - that would be a new one I believe.

Wren singing nicely, a garden tick Nuthatch distantly calling and 2 Small Tortoiseshell butterflies on the front path. Took some compost to an older friend at one point, otherwise mostly out in the garden today.

Up to 95 now ...

I'm going to suggest a reset (or new thread) for April when it comes - a listing refresh at any rate and we can start all over again - it's a nightmare adding new species on this World IOC version as eg Common Murre will testify to. And you type in Buzzard or Starling and have to scroll through 60+ species to find the correct European or Eurasian or Whatever version it is. Oh well ... ;)

Attachments

• BF 25th March.pdf
    164.4 KB · Views: 13
NW Durham, UK - garden (and neighbours garden, as they have the feeders!)
Next to zero observer effort as I'm supposed to be working...

Eurasian Collared Dove
Great Spotted Woodpecker
House Sparrow
Blue Tit
Common Chiffchaff (heard only)

After the rain, a sunny day and birds in the air. Today a kestrel, white storks, pallid swifts, house martins, a griffon vulture, black kites and a booted eagle. Heard but not seen, a tawny owl and a stone curlew. A much nicer day!

A cheering sight today, a flock of 10 bee eaters flew over the house this morning. First of the year.

Well tell them to slow down their migration Gerald, there’s nothing up here for them to eat, early afternoon here and it’s barely 2C, currently watching a lot of hungry seed eaters in the garden, c75 Chaffinch, 50 Brambling,20 Yellowhammer , 15 Goldfinch and a couple of Greenfinch, it’s a good job the supermarket in Thones is still selling bird food ( saw a Crag Martin and 3 Alpine Chough from the car park on my once every 10 days shop this morning, but not the hoped for Black Kites that should be back by now :).

So 12 Griffon Vulures very low was my breakfast treat and then a Lammy!

Raptors
Short Toed Eagle (perched somewhere near nest plus daily overhead)
Kestrel
Black Kite
Red Kite
Griffon Vulture
Egyptian Vulture
Lammegeier
Buzzard
Sparrowhawk

Others
Black Redstrt
Coal Tit
Great Tit (nest box in garden)
Wren
House Sparrow
Blackcap
Swallow
Crag Martin
Carrion Crow
Raven
Collared Dove
Nuthatch
Blackbird
Meadow Pipit
White Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Jay
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Woodpigeon
Robin
Linnet
Grey Heron
Green Woodpecker
Firecrest (heard outside garden)
Chiffchaff

Total 36

Attachments

• egyptian.jpg
    egyptian.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 16
  • grifter.JPG
    grifter.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 13
  • lammy.JPG
    lammy.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
So 12 Griffon Vulures very low was my breakfast treat and then a Lammy!

Raptors
Short Toed Eagle (perched somewhere near nest plus daily overhead)
Kestrel
Black Kite
Red Kite
Griffon Vulture
Egyptian Vulture
Lammegeier
Buzzard
Sparrowhawk

Others
Black Redstrt
Coal Tit
Great Tit (nest box in garden)
Wren
House Sparrow
Blackcap
Swallow
Crag Martin
Carrion Crow
Raven
Collared Dove
Nuthatch
Blackbird
Meadow Pipit
White Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Jay
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Woodpigeon
Robin
Linnet
Grey Heron
Green Woodpecker
Firecrest (heard outside garden)
Chiffchaff

Total 36

Short walk today
Added

Greenfinch
Red Billed Chough
Water Pipit
Redstart (common)

Now up to 40...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back