• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL vs SLC (1 Viewer)

805Birder

Hi everyone,
I have been saving my money for quite some time and would like to make the move to Swarovski. I have a cheap pair of Vortex 10x42s which have been fine, but I want to move up.

I have narrowed my choices down to the 10x42SLC or the 12x50EL. I am leaning towards the EL for longer range glassing and the light gathering ability. Both would be used off of a tripod. A guy who I dont know very well said "there is not any noticeable difference between the SLC and EL...save yourself the money and go with the SLC."

I was curious as to if there was any truth to that? I always assumed the ELs were just better but havent had any significant time behind them. I apologize if there are threads already debating the EL vs SLC but wanted to ask this question to a very knowledgeable birding community. Thanks in advance for your help.

Just my 2 cents on your two questions

SLC vs EL- the better quality of the EL may, or may not, be noticeable to you
10x42 vs 12x50- handheld the 42s easier to manage, but negates with tripod and the 12x50 gives more mag, reach, and light gathering
then there are the 15x56 SLCs

but if at all possible compare both side by side first to see which you "bond with"

edj

I am assuming these are for more distant birding and you do not need greater FOV for closed in viewing

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I have been saving my money for quite some time and would like to make the move to Swarovski. I have a cheap pair of Vortex 10x42s which have been fine, but I want to move up.

I have narrowed my choices down to the 10x42SLC or the 12x50EL. I am leaning towards the EL for longer range glassing and the light gathering ability. Both would be used off of a tripod. A guy who I dont know very well said "there is not any noticeable difference between the SLC and EL...save yourself the money and go with the SLC."

I was curious as to if there was any truth to that? I always assumed the ELs were just better but havent had any significant time behind them. I apologize if there are threads already debating the EL vs SLC but wanted to ask this question to a very knowledgeable birding community. Thanks in advance for your help.
If you are using a tripod anyway I would get the 12x50 SV. The SV's IMO are a definite step up from the SLC's. The SV's are Swarovski's best binocular and for me it is easy to the difference between an SV and an SLC.
The big difference between the SV and the SLC is the SV has much less distortion, coma and sharper edges than the SLC. The SLC 10x42 will show less glare than the SV 10x42 but the SV 12x50 handles glare better than the SV 10x42 because of it's bigger aperture. If you are going to use a tripod you might consider a 15x56 and two that are really good are the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56 and the Swarovski SLC 15x56. The Meopta for 1/2 the price is really as good as the Swarovski. I have the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56 and it is one of the best high power binoculars I have seen.

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Last edited:
For Long range glassing on a tripod, the 12X50 SV will be better than any 10X glass. The $$ however will be higher.

Andy W.

For the use you describe I would be choosing between the 12x50 EL and the 15x56 SLC (which still is less expensive than the EL). And I would be 100% happy with either. The 12x EL is arguably more versatile, if you don't have other binos; I have and love the SLC.

Of note, in the U.S the SLC 10x42 and 8x42 both came down $200 in price this year. This might not be reflected in all dealers pricing. They should be running $1599 / $1549.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back