• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I take Thistle sock down? (1 Viewer)

I live on the edge of a wooded area and know there are Golden Finches in the area so I hung a thistle sock about 3 weeks about and have not seen a finch yet on it... I have a few other feeders in the area and those are hammered with Chipping and House Sparrows, Juncos, Cardinals, Mourning and White-Wing Dove, a Chickadee and every now and then a Black and White Warbler will drop in... and as of recently the Red Winged Blackbirds and Brown Headed Cowbirds have discovered my buffet, so there's no shortage of those...

Should I continue to be patient with the Finches or take them down with all the other commotion going on?

I was wondering if I should move it to a new location since it's close to my other feeders, didn't know if those birds who scare off the finches?

No, I’d leave it where it is. In my experience, proximity to other feeders has never been a problem.

I will do that then and just give it some time. How long before that Nyger seed goes bad?

Good question for which I don’t have the definitive answer. People have said on BirdForum and elsewhere that it can go bad quite quickly under damp conditions but I’ve had a thistle sock in my backyard in rainy Oregon for over a month now which still gets the occasional visit from goldfinches and Song Sparrows. That said, the sock’s still half-full so the seed isn’t exactly going like hot cakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back