• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chinese Pond Heron - Bangkok March 2020 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

I should have been in USA/ Canada doing bird watching now, but due to the virus I have to stay home in Bangkok. And social distancing and bird watching is perfect. I was in my park 24 March and I took a picture of a Pond Heron Picture #1

Picture #2 taken in Bangkok, same park exactly 2 years ago, 24th of March 2018. In full breeding plumage. The first picture from 24 March 2020 we can see that the bird is in eclipse, not ready on the throat and top of the head.

The Pond Heron was together with another Pond Heron that, at least I could not see any signs of it getting in to breeding plumage.

Now I have a question and I would be very happy if someone would be kind to answer my question below

How long is the time span between different individuals to reach full breeding plumage?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 594.jpg
    594.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 33
How long is the time span between different individuals to reach full breeding plumage?
Aladdin
An excerpt from the HBW
"First-summer plumage reported to be very similar to that of adult, albeit perhaps duller overall with some streaking on head and neck."
Jean

An excerpt from the HBW
"First-summer plumage reported to be very similar to that of adult, albeit perhaps duller overall with some streaking on head and neck."
Jean

THANK YOU!!!

Wow! Nothing about this in my book, only Juvenile and adult. So the last bird is one year old? Is the bird ready to have own babies this year?

This was very interesting to know. The bird in her/ his company looked like a winter plumage heron.

Thank you again
Aladdin

The moult date is quite variable, and as mentioned some (presumably) first summer birds are less bright, and probably also moult later.
From birds that I see in Hong Kong I would say that your brighter bird is relatively advanced into breeding plumage - most birds are not yet this bright (although some are brighter). Some are only just starting moult (as your duller bird is), and from memory I think that a few do not reach breeding plumage until about May.

The moult date is quite variable, and as mentioned some (presumably) first summer birds are less bright, and probably also moult later.
From birds that I see in Hong Kong I would say that your brighter bird is relatively advanced into breeding plumage - most birds are not yet this bright (although some are brighter). Some are only just starting moult (as your duller bird is), and from memory I think that a few do not reach breeding plumage until about May.

According to Demongin's Identification Guide to Birds in the Hand (2016) adult Squacco Heron undergoes a pre-breeding body moult spanning Dec-May which may only involve ornamental feathers, a regime which is likely to be very similar to other Ardeola spp., with the exception perhaps of Malagasy and nominate Javan Pond Herons. There is no information regarding individual duration.

Grahame

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back