• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Non-Leather Hiking Shoes? (1 Viewer)

xFritzx

Green Birder
Ive been looking around for a decent pair of hiking shoes as my old pair have bitten the dust. I am a vegan, and am thus looking for shoes that are not made from leather or animal glue. Does anybody have any recommendations?

You say 'shoes' - I've always prefered boots for the ankle support they provide.
I have Zamberlan, Brasher & Karrimor fabric boots all of which are very comfortable and required no 'breaking in' - at the moment the best deal is on Berghaus Explorer boots.

have a look here

spargeltarzan said:
Ive been looking around for a decent pair of hiking shoes as my old pair have bitten the dust. I am a vegan, and am thus looking for shoes that are not made from leather or animal glue. Does anybody have any recommendations?

You could try Vegetarian Shoes. Brighton may be a bit of a trek to go and try them on though.

I agree Vegetarian Shoes and Ethical wares are both brilliant, plus you could also try: www.naturalcollection.com/vegsoc

They have some great hemp hiking boots: http://www.naturalcollection.com/vegsoc/product.asp?subgroup=2004
I'm a veggie so I don't wear leather either, and I bought a pair of these last year and I love them. They're waterproof enough to withstand light rain, but I think hiking boots from Vegetarian Shoes / Ethical wears would probably be more waterproof.

Hope you find what you're looking for :)

Janay

I have some Ethical Wares Ranger boots, which have lasted well. I tried their Kathmandu walking shoes, but found them liable to keel over, so I stopped wearing them to preserve my ankles. Columbia peakfreak outdry shoes are non-leather, waterproof and very comfortable for walking, but I don't know whether they are completely vegan (I don't know what glues they use)
David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back