Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bonaparte's Gull in London - Breaking news from RBA (12.32pm 20 Jan)

Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 21:37   #26
Ppedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
Two ads, two first-winters was the information from my London correspondent, a close associate of RB. Over the years, I've seen several returning individuals in Devon and Cornwall - Drift, Newlyn, Marazion 1986 and Slapton Ley/Exminster Marshes more recently. On the whole, you'd have to edge towards some duplication of individuals in the London area, I'd have thought, although some birders do seem to have an affinity with certain species. Bill Oddie found three of the first eight Solitary Sandpipers for the UK, I believe? A friend of mine has found a dozen-plus Greenishes in the Whitburn area as well as three PGTips. Me, I can't seem to stop bumping into Citrine Wagtails - eight or ten depending on your interpretation of UK 250 rules!
Bonaparte's Gull never recorded at Slapton. Sorry to be pedantic, love reading your post !
Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 22:39   #27
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppedro View Post
Bonaparte's Gull never recorded at Slapton. Sorry to be pedantic, love reading your post !
Was it Dawlish? On the groynes, often by itself. Came back two winters in a row, I think? I always get the two sites mixed up. Can't recall the exact to-ing and fro-ing but was the Exminster Marshes bird considered the same or different?
Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 22:46   #28
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ighalo is amazing View Post
Yes youre replying to Dante, Graham. Just double checked and big JP has given you the wrong info (though the Irish bird was a second-winter and not a full adult).
Cheers, pal. Chance we might get to meet in May before JP and I fly to Canada. I hear he walked away from you and RB minutes before you picked up the Boney's! I saw you're amazing photos on Birdguides; the spread wing shot is one of the best photos I've seen in months. So sharp I nearly cut myself!
Old Thursday 24th January 2019, 23:20   #29
Ighalo is amazing

Quote:
Cheers, pal. Chance we might get to meet in May before JP and I fly to Canada. I hear he walked away from you and RB minutes before you picked up the Boney's! I saw you're amazing photos on Birdguides; the spread wing shot is one of the best photos I've seen in months. So sharp I nearly cut myself!
Yea, luck has yet to come his way with the Thames gulls... I won't be in the UK in May but I'm sure we'll meet sometime soon. Have a great time in Canada and I'm glad you enjoyed my photos.
Old Friday 25th January 2019, 07:08   #30
Ppedro

Quote:
Was it Dawlish? On the groynes, often by itself. Came back two winters in a row, I think? I always get the two sites mixed up. Can't recall the exact to-ing and fro-ing but was the Exminster Marshes bird considered the same or different?
I think it used to get seen regularly on the Teign Estuary, Dawlish and sometimes Exminster. May even have been more than two winters.
Old Friday 25th January 2019, 10:47   #31
Devonian Birder

From Devon Bird Report 2017 - The long staying adult (first seen as a first winter April 2011) was present in both winter periods. First reported from Dawlish Warren on 1 Jan, it was regularly around the mouth of the Exe Estuary and occasionally at Teignmouth until 15 Feb. After its summer break it then reappeared at Dawlish Warren on 8 Sep and was present until the 28 Nov. The only other record was a 1s seen at Bowling Green Marsh on 27 and 28 March.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: