• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Forest Sites (1 Viewer)

tommo999

Hi all,

I know this is a similar-ish thread to some previous ones (I'm sorry!) which, while very useful, don't quite answer my question. Here goes:

Got a couple of days free in the coming couple of weeks which I thought I'd use to try and add Lesser-spotted Woodpecker, Hawfinch, Firecrest, Goshawk & Crossbill to my year list. I've got my 4 sites in mind: Acres Down, Mark Ash Wood, Bolderwood, Blackwater Arboretum. But I have 2 nagging questions:

Mark Ash Wood - I can't seem to find the 'small car park' I've seen mentioned - unless it is the area at 50.863747 -1.6500049? Is the wood just the area on the Eastern side of the road?

Bolderwood - would somebody be able to point me in the direction of the best path(s) to take from the car park at all?

I mean, I am more than happy to park, walk, listen and hope for the best. But if anybody has any specific recommendations, I would be most appreciative! :) My other two sites I am fairly happy with, having been there before (albeit in stifling heat in summer!)

Many thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Your coordinates are indeed for the car park. It's pretty obvious once you're there, on the eastern side of the road with a big fallen tree right next to it. There are nice trails perpendicular to the road on both sides, but the eastern one has the best habitat (open old growth forest) - it ends at the Bolderwood-Emery Down road after half a mile, so it's not far to go. Should be a nice day out although you'll need a bit of luck to connect with your targets; when were you planning on going? The Hawfinch generally come in to the arboretum later afternoon.

Cheers,
Joost

Hi Tom,

Your coordinates are indeed for the car park. It's pretty obvious once you're there, on the eastern side of the road with a big fallen tree right next to it. There are nice trails perpendicular to the road on both sides, but the eastern one has the best habitat (open old growth forest) - it ends at the Bolderwood-Emery Down road after half a mile, so it's not far to go. Should be a nice day out although you'll need a bit of luck to connect with your targets; when were you planning on going? The Hawfinch generally come in to the arboretum later afternoon.

Cheers,
Joost

Just to be clear, its not really a car park, but a forest entrance with more than usual amount of room to park without blocking the gateway.

John

Thanks guys - much appreciated!

Planning on making this an all-day thing. Driving down from Guildford for sunrise (ish) and hoping to stick it out long enough for said Hawfinches at Blackwater late afternoon.

Cheers,
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back