Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Field (or bank?) vole--ID help needed, please!

Old Wednesday 3rd March 2004, 20:45   #1
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Field (or bank?) vole--ID help needed, please!

I found this vole in our garden compost bin today. It was not v. cooperative, so I'm afraid the shot is not brilliant. I think it's a field vole but I wonder if anyone has any views? 'fraid the tail wasn't in view in the photo but it was very short... not much longer than the head of the animal.
(taken 3.3.04, Lingfield, Surrey, UK)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vole1.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	6047  

Last edited by Surreybirder : Wednesday 3rd March 2004 at 20:47. Reason: spelt tail wrong ;-/
Old Thursday 4th March 2004, 01:13   #2
Michael Frankis
conehead

Hi Surrey,

Bank Vole - the rusty brown tone to the back is spot on (Field Vole is greyer). The habitat is also ideal for Bank, wrong for Field.

Michael
Old Thursday 4th March 2004, 07:56   #3
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Thanks, Michael,
I was relieved that it was a vole and not the brown rat that jumped out of the bin on a previous occasion!
Ken
(Burning the midnight oil I see!)
Old Monday 17th May 2004, 17:46   #4
greyheron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreybirder
I found this vole in our garden compost bin today. It was not v. cooperative, so I'm afraid the shot is not brilliant. I think it's a field vole but I wonder if anyone has any views? 'fraid the tail wasn't in view in the photo but it was very short... not much longer than the head of the animal.
(taken 3.3.04, Lingfield, Surrey, UK)
hi - i've got one as well ... from my research on the net i think its a field vole - it has a tunnel system over part of my secluded back lawn with 15 entrances (at the last count) ... it appeared exactly 4 weeks ago with 1 entrance - think its a nesting female, it fairly keeps the grass short and its fav vegetation appears to be buttercup leaves !
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: