• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Catbird, Dumetella carolinensis (1 Viewer)

mymantra

I believe this shot to be representative of the species - at least in this area. They love the berries of the Poke Sallet plant. Taken August 2003 with Nikon 4500 and Nikon Sky and Earth 60mm scope.

Attachments

• catbird-800.jpg
    catbird-800.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 311
Paul,
Yes, a pretty good shot and typical pose. You can just see a little of the rufous crown stripe.
They are pretty "skulky" here.

nice shot,Paul;they're not an easy bird to photograph,being a 'skulker'.
I wonder if there are regional differences,as I haven't noticed the brown wings on ones I've seen in Florida and the black cap is generally more evident.

Seven hours I stood in Wales waiting to see Britain's 1st Grey Catbird.

SEVEN HOURS and nothing!

A really great picture though. It makes me all the more excited to see the next one in Britain!

Tom.

All,
Apologies for a "senior moment". I didn't find a new subspecies :cool:. No rufous crown, it is black! The rufous is the undertail covert.

Hate to highjack your thread, Paul. It is a nice catbird, but why is it not in the Database? All I see there is an origami crane. I thought that posting photo and text here automatically put it into the Database.

Charles Harper said:
Hate to highjack your thread, Paul. It is a nice catbird, but why is it not in the Database? All I see there is an origami crane. I thought that posting photo and text here automatically put it into the Database.

No Charles, there is nothing automatic about the database. Photo URLs are manually copied and pasted into the database by a small band of volunteers. Whether a photo gets put in the database depends on whether a volunteer notices that a pic of a species not yet represented has been posted and takes the time to add it to the database. That is the case regardless of whether the photo is posted to this forum or to the Gallery. In the case of Gray Catbird, there are already several pics of this species in the Gallery, but no volunteer has gotten around to adding one to the database.

The purpose of this forum is not so much to provide a more direct route to get photos in the database, but to provide an alternative to posting in the Gallery. The idea was that if you had a large number of pics of species that would be new for the database and wanted to make them available at a rate faster than three per day (the post limit in the Gallery), you could post them here instead. Or if you had a poor-quality shot of a new species and didn't want to bump somebody else's fine photo off the front page of the Gallery by posting it there, you could post it here instead. If you have a good quality shot and you are not up against your limit of three in the Gallery, you might as well post it there where more people will see it.

Another way to use this forum is to draw attention to a photo which has already been posted to the Gallery so that a volunteer will notice it and add it to the database. That is what Paul has done and I will add his shot to the database. But if you really want to get your photos in the database, your best bet is to volunteer and add them yourself. Contact admin or IanF to volunteer.

Glen

Thanks everyone! I have just now made it back to the forums. And yes, Glen is absolutely right, this photo was already in my gallery, and I was "volunteering" it to be included in the db. And thanks Glen for including it!

catbird

Glen Tepke said:
No Charles, there is nothing automatic about the database. Photo URLs are manually copied and pasted into the database by a small band of volunteers. Whether a photo gets put in the database depends on whether a volunteer notices that a pic of a species not yet represented has been posted and takes the time to add it to the database. That is the case regardless of whether the photo is posted to this forum or to the Gallery. In the case of Gray Catbird, there are already several pics of this species in the Gallery, but no volunteer has gotten around to adding one to the database.

The purpose of this forum is not so much to provide a more direct route to get photos in the database, but to provide an alternative to posting in the Gallery. The idea was that if you had a large number of pics of species that would be new for the database and wanted to make them available at a rate faster than three per day (the post limit in the Gallery), you could post them here instead. Or if you had a poor-quality shot of a new species and didn't want to bump somebody else's fine photo off the front page of the Gallery by posting it there, you could post it here instead. If you have a good quality shot and you are not up against your limit of three in the Gallery, you might as well post it there where more people will see it.

Another way to use this forum is to draw attention to a photo which has already been posted to the Gallery so that a volunteer will notice it and add it to the database. That is what Paul has done and I will add his shot to the database. But if you really want to get your photos in the database, your best bet is to volunteer and add them yourself. Contact admin or IanF to volunteer.

Glen
Ohio catbirds have a sharp black skull cap almost yarmuluk like promting my wife to refer to them as Katzbirds.Happy passover
Sam

Gray Catbird

I am in Tallahassee, Florida and I have a pair of Gray Catbirds (i know you spell it Grey there) and I may have gotten them to try an apple half. I am curious if anyone has been able to observe the Gray Catbird eating anything and if so, then what was it eating. Anything you have learned about the Gray Catbird would greatly be appreciated as I am always looking for tips on how to attract them. I do know that a bird bath definetly attracts them and that they like to search around on the ground beneath bird baths.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back