• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did I dream it? (1 Viewer)

Allen

Hi. I was recently trying to describe to my brother an impressive and rare ungulate that is found (I think) on Asian steppes and which I recall seeing on one of the recent high quality wildlife documentaries however when I try and figure out what species it was I am drawing a blank and now wondering whether it was some weird dream!
I recollect the footage of a sable antelope type animal in my mind with a long chin beard, swept back horns and a blackish saddle against paler body (or possibly paler saddle against blackish fur). I've tried to look up all the ungulates that are found in Himalayas, Gobi etc areas as I recall that was the area of the documentary but to no avail. Tibetan Antelope was almost it but no chin beard and I distinctly remember that in the footage. I'm hoping some expert here might have a clue as to what I am remembering otherwise it'll have to go down as some kind of weird hallucination...or a badly remembered Tibetan Antelope! Thanks in advance.

Wasn't Takin was it? Lacks the swept back horns of a Sable Antelope, more like a Gnu, but is certainly bearded, and some individuals can look saddled.

Last edited:
No, but seriously beginning to wonder where the heck I came up with this recollection from..........maybe, as Scrooge said “You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!”

:-O:-O

Your descriptions fits the Siberian ibex pretty well in terms of horn shape and chin beard. Some of the subspecies also appear to have a lighter saddle, google some pictures of Capri sibirica and have a look.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back