• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

small garden (1 Viewer)

lesjamelles

:hippy: hello i have a tiny garden(18 by5mtr.) with a pond and "stream" it lies between two main roads on a small estate , my wife and i feed and encourage all wildlife.
visitors have included heron,goldcrest,sparrowhawk,as well as my favourites the local sparrow circus, we have had grassnake,sloworm catapillars etc.
just decided to plant hazel,hawthorn,alder.need suggestions for small trees to bring in more bird types(tall post for eagles!)

Hi lesjamelles,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

You sound to be in a similar position to me. I have a small garden with a water feature including a small stream. I envy you the Goldcrest, although we are lucky enough to have Grey Wagtail - attracted by the stream. We have planted natural hedging (hawthorn etc.) but it has not matured enough yet, although the birds find plenty of insects on it.

Good luck :t:

Hello lesjamelles, and welcolme to the forum. I'm not sure about trees, but the blackbirds love the berries on our Berberis Darwinii bush - and it gives a glorious display of orangey flowers in the spring. Pyracantha is another popular one here, and we also have some cotoneaters - their berries have not been taken much yet (there are masses of berries on everything this year), but I'm sure they'll be eaten in due course. Do you offer sunflower hearts - these are the big favourite here at the moment, though last year I had to work hard to keep the niger feeders filled, while we had lots of siskins here (72 was the maximum number).

:hippy:
robinm said:
Hi lesjamelles,thanks for your letter it is good to know not everyone has kew for a back garden

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

You sound to be in a similar position to me. I have a small garden with a water feature including a small stream. I envy you the Goldcrest, although we are lucky enough to have Grey Wagtail - attracted by the stream. We have planted natural hedging (hawthorn etc.) but it has not matured enough yet, although the birds find plenty of insects on it.

Good luck :t:

Hello Lesjamelles, and welcome to Birdforum. There has been an interesting thread in the 'gardening for birds' section in the last few days. Try looking at this for tree ideas:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=27224

You are so lucky to already have water in your garden, and by the time you've finished, it sounds as though you're going to have a bird paradise.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back