• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Multimedia Identification Guide to North Atlantic Seabirds: Shearwaters: Jouanin's & (1 Viewer)

The latest offering to come with a USB memory stick.......https://www.wildsounds.com/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?prodid=9780956886736

I saw an interesting article today regarding the fact that magnetic North of the Earth, is shifting, bare with me here.....https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52550973

I'm wondering if there could be any ramifications for geo location data, I quote from the book.

'The large-format colour range maps are based on the latest geolocator and observational studies,'

As long as the earth keeps spinning the way it does geolocator data is fine Andy, it works by calculating astronomical midday & midnight & time of sunrise & sunset & then you can get a position by comparing that with UTC

As long as the earth keeps spinning the way it does geolocator data is fine Andy, it works by calculating astronomical midday & midnight & time of sunrise & sunset & then you can get a position by comparing that with UTC

Thanks Dave, the articles does state what I include below, hence my uninformed query.

'And this rapid movement has required more frequent updates to navigation systems, including those that operate the mapping functions in smartphones.'

Apologies, I have another thread going on it too so maybe comment there Dave.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=389426

I can't really add anymore Andy, like others have said it should probably only really affect compasses, & I don't know know enough about smartphones to know how their mapping works but if you think you're heading north & you've got your declination wrong it won't take long until you're a long way from where you want to be!

Posted in the other thread Dave:

A typical smart phone has three magnetic field sensors, fixed perpendicular to each other, which are used to work out the local direction of Magnetic North.

In addition, they have three accelerometers which sense gravity to give tilt information and to help work out which way is down.

The Wildsounds price is very slightly cheaper than ordering direct from Bob Flood's Scilly Pelagics site but Bob does say that orders to him will have priority.

Steve

The Wildsounds price is very slightly cheaper than ordering direct from Bob Flood's Scilly Pelagics site but Bob does say that orders to him will have priority.

Steve

I'd assume though Steve that Wildsounds will have ordered a whole batch, size dependant on pre-orders so there should be no significant delay, if any?

Out now and they will start dispatching copies next week (at least if ordered directly through Scilly Pelagics)

We've all paid the same price, (I actually pre-paid weeks ago) and I wouldn't expect to get it any later or earlier than anyone else, dependant on where I bought it.

Last edited:
We've all paid the same price, (I actually pre-paid weeks ago) and I wouldn't expect to get it any later or earlier than anyone else, dependant on where I bought it.

then you should take that up with your book supplier, and tell them that you want your book and that they should also work in the weekend to make sure you don't have to wait longer than anyone else. You surely can't expect them to be able to compete with Bob and Ash posting them out directly?
Cheers
James

then you should take that up with your book supplier, and tell them that you want your book and that they should also work in the weekend to make sure you don't have to wait longer than anyone else. You surely can't expect them to be able to compete with Bob and Ash posting them out directly?
Cheers
James

I'd hope that this is what they're doing?

I'd hope that this is what they're doing?

You know more about books than most Andy, but do places like NHBS work 7 days a week, 24 hours a day? My point is having seen the photos on Twitter of Bob packing books up this weekend there is a chance that people who bought directly will get them before people who ordered via other sources?
Although posting from Scilly may add a day?
Cheers
James

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back