• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Wrens vs Chipping Sparrow (2 Viewers)

klbreton

I'm so perplexed by the activity over the months with my bird house. In March chipping sparrows moved in. I have two small children and with quarantine and two boys home while working full time, I honestly have no idea if the sparrows had babies or not. I think it was mid April when I noticed the house wren. Usually the wren comes and destroys whatever is in there. In this instance he did not - I expected to see the nest pulled out in the 24 hours or so after I saw him. But it never happened. And since April the wren and the sparrow (male, now solo) have been weirdly co-habitating for lack of a better description. They have both been there on a regular basis - sometimes separately and sometimes at the same time. I'll see the sparrow's head sticking out in the morning and then later that morning I'll see the wren bringing in twigs. And this activity has been on-going since April. This morning the sparrow has been in and out and so has the wren (who now has a mate). When the sparrow is in the there the wren sits in the tree above belting out his never ending tune. I have never seen this kind of activity at my bird house and am not sure what to make of it. Is this normal? I've only ever seen the wren come and destroy eggs, kill babies and yank out nests.

I've never heard of this happening nor have I witnessed it in my bird boxes. Very strange indeed.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back