• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring Gulls behaving like Swallows (1 Viewer)

Anon2020

A short while ago this evening whilst in the kitchen preparing my evening meal I noticed some 40 - 50 Herring Gulls wheeling overhead in what I at first took to be a rather aimless fashion. After some observation however it appeared that they were in fact feeding on flying insects as they would momentarily pause in mid-flight and snap their beaks. This continued for about 30 minutes.

Has anyone else observed this behaviour in Herring Gulls?

Never in Herring Gulls, but 2 other types recently (BH, Med). Was it fairly close to a coastal location?

Yes, about half a mile from the sea. The truth is I just assumed they were Herring Gulls as the are predominant in the area.

There are also Black Headed Gulls in the area but I’ve only seen them on the shore not the town outskirts where I live.

Yes, frequently, on these few hot summer days when ants are doing their mating flights - there's so many of them that even the clumsy aerial feeding rate for Herring Gulls becomes profitable. It's a bonanza for anything that can catch ants in mid-air.

Along the vein of birds imitating swallows, I once observed a Least Sandpiper wheeling with a flock of swallows low over the local reservoir. When the swallows rose over the trees, so did the sandpiper. It even made a small in-flight sally like any good swallow would!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back