Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Climate Change Could Change Rates of Evolution

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 20:42   #1
Acrocephalus

Climate Change Could Change Rates of Evolution

Gross L (2011) Climate Change Could Change Rates of Evolution. PLoS Biol 9(2): e1001015. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001015

article
Old Thursday 24th February 2011, 02:00   #2
Shadow-watcher

I cant read this article, but surely its not so much a case of could, but a most definite case of will. Climate change is ultimately environmental change, and evolution is very simply environmental adaption, rapid changes in environment exaggerate the pressures on which genetic variation is naturally selected.

Id love to know what it says, but to my post grad biology mind I find it discerning that this should come as a surprise to people.
Old Saturday 26th February 2011, 10:23   #3
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrocephalus View Post
Gross L (2011) Climate Change Could Change Rates of Evolution. PLoS Biol 9(2): e1001015. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001015

article
Mohamed,
Thank you for this link. Both PDFs downloaded immediately.

The synopsis and the papwer address the 'whole picture', although there are numerous examples, such as the Galapagos finches, that demonstrate that even short-term series of droughts and wet years can affect the morphology of species (mean bill-size increasing or decreasing, populations also being seed-size dependent). Another is the Blackcap wintering population in SW England: 40 years ago, there were almost none, now they are common to abundant in places, having changed their SW-S migration route (Bavaria to N Africa) to a NW direction; average wing-length has reduced markedly.

However, temperature-dependence is but one factor driving the 'shape' of the available ecological niche, although probably a major one.
MJB
Old Saturday 26th February 2011, 12:11   #4
mickbe74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-watcher View Post
I cant read this article, but surely its not so much a case of could, but a most definite case of will. Climate change is ultimately environmental change, and evolution is very simply environmental adaption, rapid changes in environment exaggerate the pressures on which genetic variation is naturally selected.

Id love to know what it says, but to my post grad biology mind I find it discerning that this should come as a surprise to people.
Not so much coming as a surprise, but with most media coverage being on the immediate effects of climate change, long term effects can easily be overlooked, whether we're around to see them is another matter.
Old Monday 28th February 2011, 02:28   #5
Shadow-watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbe74 View Post
Not so much coming as a surprise, but with most media coverage being on the immediate effects of climate change, long term effects can easily be overlooked, whether we're around to see them is another matter.
Yeah so true, I have read this now and its very interesting. The lack of understanding surrounding ecological/geological time is a continual obstacle, but its acknowledgement is a revelation.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: