• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Tits (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

When out walking yesterday, I was delighted to hear the familiar twitting of these gorgeous little birds in the trees above me (in a nearby park) It got me thinking, the last three places I have lived in this area, on one occasion only, a little flock had appeared in the trees, and unfortunately, never returned to feed. So my question is - what do they normally feed on, and why don't they stick around? (well that's two questions) I have virtually every type of feeder and food known to birdkind, so what am I doing wrong? :h?:

songbird said:
When out walking yesterday, I was delighted to hear the familiar twitting of these gorgeous little birds in the trees above me (in a nearby park) It got me thinking, the last three places I have lived in this area, on one occasion only, a little flock had appeared in the trees, and unfortunately, never returned to feed. So my question is - what do they normally feed on, and why don't they stick around? (well that's two questions) I have virtually every type of feeder and food known to birdkind, so what am I doing wrong? :h?:

I had three visiting my garden a few days ago (first sighting for a long time), and they were tucking in to a lump of cheese on the bird table, but I have not seen them since.

Living in a very rural location on bank of River South Tyne (almost a village but no shop or pub) these delightful birds are seen daily at this time of year. Definately rate as one of my favouite small passerines. A few weeks ago watched a small group foraging in Birches behind house and was attracted to an individual without any tail, looked like a big pink and black bumble bee (flew like one as well) what a strange sight.

Stewart J.

I had a flock of nine through the garden on Sunday. Stopped briefly in a Mountain Ash and some seemed to be trying the berries. It's the first time I've seen the garden this year.

AndyC

I'm seeing a flock of +/- 8 of them almost daily now, come for a feed, but the best is watching them bathing in the birdbath. I'd never seen that before I came to live here. A lovely sight to see.

I was watching some water birds from a fallen tree, camera trained when a flock of these little birds invaded the tree they were within a foot of me. They were quite oblivious of me - pity I had a long tele lens so no photos so I enjoyed their antics.

They have to keep on the move becasue they have to keep eating - being so small means their energy intake must be huge! They are mainly insectiverous, so aren't table visitors in the main.
They are particularly noticable in winter with the lack of leaves on the trees. In winter they have to be on the move continually as spiders and other insects are even more difficult to come across.
I love the nests they weave out of moss and spider silk - perfect.
James

I am lucky enough to see these great little birds often in the trees at my local reserve.They seem to suddenly turn up in a group and just as suddenly fly off but what I have noticed twice now is that if one bird is left behind the rest will come back and "rescue" him.Anyone else seen this.

I've had them come to peanut feeders just once. They're not that interested in them. You'll get nowhere with sunflower seeds either (they totally ignore them). They mainly feeds on invertebrates, so if you've cracked it for wrens or treecreepers you're in with a chance with LT Tits too! If not.....

Long tailed tits & cheese (with a little port)

Before last Christmas we bought a whole small round soft cheese, sliced off the top, scooped out a bit from the middle and poured in some port. By Christmas it was a delight to eat but the almost empty shell was put out for the birds. A flock of 16 long tails chanced upon it and I am sure their normally cheery twittering rose a few degrees. The sight of 16 tails in the air in a circle around the cheese was marvellous. They flew off after only a few minutes but came back every 20 to 30 minutes for another feed. They do feed on the peanuts and fat balls but soft cheese is a favourite. We have many shrubs in the garden and they do flow through them picking off the insects/spiders.

Thanks for all the replies - I must try the cheese idea then, it's about the one thing I never bother with, because I can't eat it anymore, I don't buy it, too much of a temptation (has such a high calorific value, and I used to eat pounds of it!)

Changing the subject everso slightly, I have a goldfinch who seems to prefer peanuts. As I type this now, there is one feeding happily away on same, which is hanging alongside niger seed on one side, and sunflower hearts on the other! Work that one out.

Ranger James said:
They have to keep on the move becasue they have to keep eating - being so small means their energy intake must be huge! They are mainly insectiverous, so aren't table visitors in the main.
They are particularly noticable in winter with the lack of leaves on the trees. In winter they have to be on the move continually as spiders and other insects are even more difficult to come across.
I love the nests they weave out of moss and spider silk - perfect.
James

We had three again today - on the bird table! On the occasions when they visit, they are either on the table, or on the hanging peanut feeders.

At(?) in my local patch are 50!in a flock....sometimes they split up 20/30 and are joined by greenfinches/goldfinches/chaffinches bluetits and great tits ..but they are the leaders of the pack!

(Osterley Park, Isleworth)

Eagle

Forgot...these delightful birds visit lots of gardens around the park and it seems they eat Cheese!!!
Must be a dietary need!

Last edited:
We get a daily visitation by at least 6 birds - they love peanuts from the feeders.
Always a great sight to see 6 birds on the one bag - looks like an explosion in a feather pillow factory!

A few weeks ago watched a small group foraging in Birches behind house and was attracted to an individual without any tail, looked like a big pink and black bumble bee (flew like one as well) what a strange sight.

Ah yes. The 'no-tailed long-tailed tit'. Quite common.

Seriously? This was a long-tailed tit with no tail? And aspirations of hymenoptera to boot!

senatore said:
what I have noticed twice now is that if one bird is left behind the rest will come back and "rescue" him.Anyone else seen this.

No I haven't!! We get gangs of them flying into the garden and last weekend one was left behind for several minutes and no-one bothered to rescue him!! He flew off alone.

Nerine

Any particular variety of cheese favoured? Any suggestions for how to hang it?

Regards Richard

(unashamed Long-Tailed-Tit fan)

This is what the LTT's feed on here: it's a glazed peanut cake, plus they eat the sunflower hearts, which they particularly seem to enjoy. They have just flown over to the birdbath, one day I hope to get a half decent pic of them in the bath.

Attachments

• LTTfeed.jpg
    LTTfeed.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 126
  • LTTfeed2.jpg
    LTTfeed2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 122
'My' flock has returned also - between 7/9 of them visit a few times a day to eat from the suet block. I have just started crumbling up digestives for the tray under the niger feeder which has been a massive success (24p Morrisons own brand) - the blues, great,coal tits, robin love them and not 15 minutes ago I saw a 'lone' LTT investigating the empty tray ....so that's tomorrow gone gazing out the window waiting for the flock to appear!! Yes..a wonderful week LTTs back AND male and female black cap. Only problem is one of the robins has taken a dislike to the female black cap - whenever she tries to feed from the biscuits he attacks her. The male just parks up and munches on the suet block.

Margaret

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back