Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

House Sparrow?? Enfield CT Update

Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 18:48   #1
Lagopuss
Truth Seeker

Location: Enfield Connecticut, “In like a Lion out like a Lamb”
House Sparrow?? Enfield CT Update

Howdy! Its not the same bird from my last post. Still pretty young but Im thinking its an invasive house sparrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011B71D2-BC63-4687-932E-5BAB3107310C.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	728015  
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 19:09   #2
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Too spotted on the breast for House. No idea what it is though.
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 19:13   #3
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagopuss View Post
Howdy! Its not the same bird from my last post. Still pretty young but Im thinking its an invasive house sparrow.
In any case, wouldn't worry about the "invasive" part. House Sparrows have been part of the North American avifauna for over a hundred years. They're attractive little birds superbly adapted to human habitations and are here to stay.

Last edited by fugl : Saturday 23rd May 2020 at 19:22.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 19:38   #4
The Bird Nuts
Birding Duo

Looks like a Brown-headed Cowbird.
- Bird Nut #1
(with the help of Bird Nut #2 on occasion)
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 19:49   #5
Lagopuss
Truth Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
In any case, wouldn't worry about the "invasive" part. House Sparrows have been part of the North American avifauna for over a hundred years. They're attractive little birds superbly adapted to human habitations and are here to stay.
I read that they invade native birds nests, kill all the chicks even if theyre unborn in the egg. They do that regardless if they need to use the nests themselves. Is that accurate?
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 20:29   #6
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
I read that they invade native birds nests, kill all the chicks even if theyre unborn in the egg. They do that regardless if they need to use the nests themselves. Is that accurate?
No, it isn’t. The main complaint about them is that they take over bluebird birdhouses for their own use, destroying eggs and nestlings (if present) in the process. In other words, they’re not vandals sowing destruction for its own sake but simply fierce competitors for nest sites around human habitations. Away from human habitations (and city parks and other such places) they’re seldom found so pose no threat to native species.

House Wrens are notorious for similar behavior but because they’re natives much less fuss is made about them.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 20:30   #7
Lagopuss
Truth Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bird Nuts View Post
Looks like a Brown-headed Cowbird.
Interesting thank you! I havent heard of those guys before but Ive definitely seen the adults in the area. And funny enough, after a little google search theyre native. But actually operate in a similar way that house sparrows do. They even invade house sparrow nests lol.

Is this something lots of birds do??

Is it only more harmful because of the increse in human development?Structures, Garbage, encroaching on the natural land etc??

We’re just making the natural bad habits in some species, impact more “docile” birds im feeling like we’re to blame.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 20:32   #8
Lagopuss
Truth Seeker

Thank You So Much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
No, it isn’t. The main complaint about them is that they take over bluebird birdhouses for their own use, destroying eggs and nestlings (if present) in the process. In other words, they’re not vandals sowing destruction for its own sake but simply fierce competitors for nest sites around human habitations. Away from human habitations (and city parks and other such places) they’re seldom found so pose no threat to native species.

House Wrens are notorious for similar behavior but because they’re natives much less fuss is made about them.
You kinda psychically answered my orher questions before I even asked it!! <3
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 01:30   #9
nartreb
Speak softly and carry a long lens

Quote:
Interesting thank you! I havent heard of those guys before but Ive definitely seen the adults in the area. And funny enough, after a little google search theyre native. But actually operate in a similar way that house sparrows do. They even invade house sparrow nests lol.

Is this something lots of birds do??

Is it only more harmful because of the increse in human development?Structures, Garbage, encroaching on the natural land etc??

We’re just making the natural bad habits in some species, impact more “docile” birds im feeling like we’re to blame.
Lots of birds compete for nests, evicting any other birds they find (if they can).

Brown-headed cowbirds are different. They don't kick out nesting birds, they (actually just the female, you'll see why) sneak into the nest and lay one of their eggs right on top of the eggs that are already there. When it hatches, the cowbird chick will be fed by its unwitting foster parents. (It will also evict their eggs or chicks, to eliminate competition.)
You'll often see a tiny adult finch or sparrow feeding a much larger baby cowbird. (The cowbird will keep following the adult around, begging for food, for several days after it leaves the nest.)

Example: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Image...rdDSCN9172.jpg
Old Sunday 24th May 2020, 02:06   #10
Lagopuss
Truth Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nartreb View Post
Lots of birds compete for nests, evicting any other birds they find (if they can).

Brown-headed cowbirds are different. They don't kick out nesting birds, they (actually just the female, you'll see why) sneak into the nest and lay one of their eggs right on top of the eggs that are already there. When it hatches, the cowbird chick will be fed by its unwitting foster parents. (It will also evict their eggs or chicks, to eliminate competition.)
You'll often see a tiny adult finch or sparrow feeding a much larger baby cowbird. (The cowbird will keep following the adult around, begging for food, for several days after it leaves the nest.)

Example: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Image...rdDSCN9172.jpg

Thank you!!

That is so interesting and useful to know!! I am basically a complete novice. Peregrine falcons are my favorite animal. But other than a few other raptors and extinct birds like the Haast Eagle my knowledge is minimal at best. Which is why I’m here. <3
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: