• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified roadkill (warbler?) - Portugal (1 Viewer)

martin.m

United Kingdom
Hi all! Any chance of getting an ID for this road casualty from Portugal? It was found in May near Barragem do Funcho, Algarve (near São Bartolomeu de Messines).

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF7566-COLLAGE.jpg
    DSCF7566-COLLAGE.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 155
A Subalpine Warbler (of whatever species) for me too. Despite ruffled feathers and damaged feather parts, I think I can make out the right throat pattern for some females/1CY: (apricot)orange-buffish throat with a white moustache. Adult female Spectacled should show a more uniform white throat with any couloration/hue there is normally "colourless smoke grey" or FAINT cream (so "nearly colourless cream", I hope thats understandable).
1 CY Spectacled can show a just visible cream wash to the throat (which is still predominantly whitish then, not clear colured like in this bird))
More this birds lacks the rusty wing panel of Spectacled. I think the contrasting blackish tertial centers are pronounced by light and camera settings.

A Subalpine Warbler (of whatever species) for me too. Despite ruffled feathers and damaged feather parts, I think I can make out the right throat pattern for some females/1CY: (apricot)orange-buffish throat with a white moustache. Adult female Spectacled should show a more uniform white throat with any couloration/hue there is normally "colourless smoke grey" or FAINT cream (so "nearly colourless cream", I hope thats understandable).
1 CY Spectacled can show a just visible cream wash to the throat (which is still predominantly whitish then, not clear colured like in this bird))
More this birds lacks the rusty wing panel of Spectacled. I think the contrasting blackish tertial centers are pronounced by light and camera settings.

So... The conclusion is that this bird is a WSW (rather tha Spectacled) because it has not completely white throat?
It makes difficult for me to see the white moustache. Besides, the blues of the of the head reminds me the Spectacled: dark blue between the bill and the eye becoming clear brilliant blue suddenly.
Note: I was thinking in an adult male, not female, because of the colouration of the head I said.

More this birds lacks the rusty wing panel of Spectacled

I see it in the first pic?

To me as well this is a Western Subalpine Warbler. Note e.g. the fringes of the tertials are grey not chestnut - as they would be in Spectacled...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back