• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bustard-like birds in Saudi Arabia (1 Viewer)

HeidiGuttschuss

Hi, just moved here and saw some bustard-like birds for sale in a market in Qatif.
The Arabic name given by the seller was "ostrich", but they sure aren't ostriches--all fluffy and striped, about 12 inches tall. They appeared immature.

I've attached a photo, since that will be better than a verbal description [sorry that the photo's not the best but I didn't want too arract to much attention].

Anyone have an idea what they are?

Also, any suggestions as to a good bird guide for the Arabian gulf area?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0445_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0445_1_1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 141
I agree with Andy. The strongly striped look is pretty typical of Emu chicks. Ostrich chicks tend to be more mottled and speckled without the obvious stripes. Cassowary chicks are very similar to Emu chicks, but they have unstreaked necks & heads.

They are emu chicks. Wonder why somebody breeds them...

HeidiGuttschuss said:
Also, any suggestions as to a good bird guide for the Arabian gulf area?

The one and by far the best:

Field Guide to the Birds of the Middle East
R. F. Porter, S. Christensen, and P. Schiermacker-Hansen

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back