• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bird not found in my identification books! Black bird with 'eyes' aside crest? (1 Viewer)

Variable Potpourri
I was taking my daughter for a stroll the other day and saw this unusual bird searching for something in the grass as we approached. I didn't get to watch him long enough to notice anything else except that I thought I was seeing double...my first thought was, MUTANT! ;)
He was quite dark, almost black if not truly, had a crest raised from his crown which he flared a few times, and on each side was displayed an small, bright marking that mimicked his actual light yellow eyes perfectly.

This fellow is not in either of my pocket books on basic bird identification. :I

Any ideas on what I saw and if he is common to South Florida?

Last edited:
Xenospiza said:
It bet it's a Red-whiskered Bulbul (originally from Asia). They have been released in Fla.

Nope - just Googled that...

What I saw looked like a crested blackbird with four eyes.

jthoppes said:
Common Myna?

No, that wasn't it either...(but thank you both for trying).

The marking it had was aligned directly (or so it appeared from the glance I got) above his eye, and seriously looked like the thing had two eyes on either side. It was distinct. The proportion and coloring was intentional and effective - I wouldn't eat him! ;)
I stopped and squinted, trying to determine what I was seeing - that was when he made a movement and I realized it was the ornamentation of his crown...and then my toddler fussed and the bird flew...and I haven't seen him since.

I've seen all kind of critters with 'evil eyes' but have never seen this bird before.

'Crested would be a maybe if it had that marking, because it did have an exaggerated form (looked deformed at first glance)...but I thought I saw the crest fall further back across his head...

Man - I'm going to start strolling with a camera!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back