• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sussex Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi Lorna

Thanks for the PM re: the Iceland & directions. Unfortunately I didn't see the boards before going out later this afternoon as I was somewhere else earlier. The tide was full in when I arrived so I just went up river rather than down - never any gulls or waders around at full tide where I generally start off. Caught up with a very nice pair of displaying Kingfisher up river though and the fields were alive with Skylark and Yellow Hammer singing.

Pulborough was good today.
Heard and saw my first Chiffchaff's of the year and good numbers of Bullfinches and Treecreepers which were life ticks for Mrs W.
There was a lone Yellowhammer which put on a great show for about 10 fellow birders.
Good day.

Yellowhammer, skylark, linnet and green woodpecker all singing (or laughing at least!) at Hollingbury Fort this morning. Singing chiffchaff at Nyman's in Handcross this afternoon.

Last edited:
Woodlarks heard but not seen on Ashdown Forest yesterday, Old Lodge area.

Ring necked female duck still at Weir Wood but pochard and tufties mostly gone.
The herony is well seen from the hide with 14 nests and at least one sitting female.

Joanne

A slow walk round Old Lodge,Ashdown Forest this morning produced one Woodlark which we inadvertently flushed,one GS Woodpecker and several male Stonechats which seemed to be fighting each other........must be a territorial thing.Also heard a Tawny Owl calling fairly close by but couldn't see it anywhere.

The usual assortment of finches and tits around.

Also bumped into Joanne Chattaway....nice to see you again.....hope you found your Woodlark after we left you.

Popped over to Gills Lap after but this area seemed practically birdless.....it's more open here so the wind comes into play and the birds seemed to want to hunker down for the morning.

Mark43 said:
A slow walk round Old Lodge,Ashdown Forest this morning produced one Woodlark which we inadvertently flushed,one GS Woodpecker and several male Stonechats which seemed to be fighting each other........must be a territorial thing.Also heard a Tawny Owl calling fairly close by but couldn't see it anywhere.

The usual assortment of finches and tits around.

Also bumped into Joanne Chattaway....nice to see you again.....hope you found your Woodlark after we left you.

Popped over to Gills Lap after but this area seemed practically birdless.....it's more open here so the wind comes into play and the birds seemed to want to hunker down for the morning.

Glad you saw the woodlark!

It was a nice surprise to bump into you and Jackie too. I could only stay an hour up there today as I was on my way somewhere else (not birding). I did hear a woodlark but unfortunately didn't see it. Just after we parted a flock of linnets turned up, I kept waving and otherwise quietly trying unsuccessfully to get your attention. Apart from that, only a sparrowhawk and chiffchaff of interest.

Joanne

Last edited:
joannechattaway said:
Glad you saw the woodlark!

It was a nice surprise to bump into you and Jackie too. I could only stay an hour up there today as I was on my way somewhere else (not birding). I did hear a woodlark but unfortunately didn't see it. Just after we parted a flock of linnets turned up, I kept waving and otherwise quietly trying unsuccessfully to get your attention. Apart from that, only a sparrowhawk and chiffchaff of interest.

Joanne

Oops........oh well it doesn't matter to much.
Should have swopped mobile numbers then you could have just txt'd me ;) ;)

Best woodland for winter finches?

Hi

I've posted this in the Sussex 'information request' section, but seeing as the last post before mine was November, I thought perhaps I should replicate my request here..

Can anyone recommend a woodland within, say, half and hour's drive or so from Lewes where I might catch up with a few long-overdue finches? (any of Hawfinch, Brambling, Siskin, Redpoll, Crossbill, etc).

Friston is very close, although usually dead at this time of year. Ashdown would be good, but I need someone to give me a pointer on a particular location that might prove fruitful. Failing that, somewhere fairly small and self-contained wuld be ideal.

Many thanks

Last Year's Man said:
Hi

I've posted this in the Sussex 'information request' section, but seeing as the last post before mine was November, I thought perhaps I should replicate my request here..

Can anyone recommend a woodland within, say, half and hour's drive or so from Lewes where I might catch up with a few long-overdue finches? (any of Hawfinch, Brambling, Siskin, Redpoll, Crossbill, etc).

Friston is very close, although usually dead at this time of year. Ashdown would be good, but I need someone to give me a pointer on a particular location that might prove fruitful. Failing that, somewhere fairly small and self-contained wuld be ideal.

Many thanks

For Hawfinch and Brambling i would suggest West Dean Woods near Chichester.Bit more than half an hour away though.
Redpoll and Crossbill.......well it has to be Ashdown Forest.Try Airmans grave or Isle of Thorns for Redpoll and anywhere on the forest for Crossbill although you may not be lucky with these.
Not sure about a good place for Siskin.

I'm sure others may have some ideas as well.

Mark43 said:
For Hawfinch and Brambling i would suggest West Dean Woods near Chichester.Bit more than half an hour away though.
Redpoll and Crossbill.......well it has to be Ashdown Forest.Try Airmans grave or Isle of Thorns for Redpoll and anywhere on the forest for Crossbill although you may not be lucky with these.
Not sure about a good place for Siskin.

I'm sure others may have some ideas as well.

I agree with what Mark has said about Ashdown Forest for finches. Redpoll were pretty common up there in May/June last year, think it's called Nine Acre Wood, just past Kidds Hill on the Hartfield Road where I saw alot. Crossbill are said to be in the New Lodge area but not seen them personally.

I saw brambling at Arlington Reservoir before Christmas but not when I went two weeks ago. Moonshake will probably be along soon, he seems to see alot of brambling, right Nick?

Of course don't forget Pulborough Brooks, a bit more than 1/2 hour from Lewes though.

Joanne

It's a bit late in the year for the winter finches (although the cold weather may have shaken things up a bit), you'll probably be looking at next winter now.

In the W of the county Coates Common can be good for Siskin, Crossbill and Redpoll, with Burton Mill nearby also good for Siskin, Redpoll (sometimes including Mealy) in the woods (can be 100s of Siskin here). Redpoll also get into the finch flocks in the fields in the area where they can be joined by Brambling. This year has not been a good one at either of these sites, we had a handful of Siskin and Lesser Redpoll at BM at the end of January, but I don't think there's been much of a flock. Crossbill is pretty much a hopeless cause this winter - might be best waiting until next winter to see if numbers are higher. Last winter (2005/2006) there were a few to be seen in the Old Lodge area in Ashdown. The latter can be very good for Redpoll at this time of year, with birds very vocal and active.

Probably too late for the Hawfinch roost at West Dean Woods now (you could get a chance flyover, but unlikely), and there's not been too many Brambling there this year (it's not been cold enough) - so it might not be worth risking the long journey. I've made 3 trips there this year (quite a jaunt from Haywards Heath) with varied success.

I saw a report recently on the RXWildlife website (try Googling if you're not aware of this site) of Hawfinches somewhere in the Pett/Rye area, but not even certain that this was in Sussex or just over the border in Kent. EDIT it was Powdermill Reservoir, and is in Sussex - also Siskin and Redpoll reported; DISCLAIMER - I don't know anything regarding access at this site!

Last edited:
Thank you for all the responses.

I did think that perhaps I'd left it a bit late for woodland finches, but I may well give Ashdown a go.

On the other hand, Beachy Head is only 20 minutes away (I live half way between Lewes and Eastbourne, and about 5 mins drive from Arlington) - I could always chance a trip there even though it is very early. I managed a quick trip a couple of weeks ago, and was rewarded with a nice Firecrest, so you never know...and of course Cuckmere Haven is on the way home!

I have been 'lurking' around this Sussex thread for a few weeks now, but will begin reporting my outings from now on. Two pre-school kids don't allow much time for birding though |:(|

Bedgebury Pinetum is supposed to be good for hawfinch and gets crossbill and siskin too. It's Kent, but surely can't be all that far away from you - it's close to Bewl Water. Drawbacks: might be too late in the year and also you have to pay to get in - it's a good place to visit, but I suppose paying might only compound the disappointment if you don't see the bird.

http://www.bedgeburypinetum.org.uk/index.htm

Brambling were present at Wakehurst Place near Ardingly all winter. Hawfinch have been seen there too in the past, but really pretty scarce I think.

Two pre-school kids don't allow much time for birding though

You're not wrong about that, that's for sure!

Following on...

...from my post above (and I promise not to turn this into a 'request' thread in future!), has anyone birded Combe Haven at this time of the year?

Thanks

A 3 hour stroll round Pulborough today produced a Ruff,Redshank and a Dunlin out on the North Brooks plus a couple of Snipe seen from the Hanger.
Plenty of Chiffchaff about or the same one kept following us.

Had a spot of lunch then over to Greatham for a wander onto Amberley Brooks which was practically birdless unless you like Wrens........never seen so many.....they were everywhere.

Mark43 said:
A 3 hour stroll round Pulborough today produced a Ruff,Redshank and a Dunlin out on the North Brooks plus a couple of Snipe seen from the Hanger.
Plenty of Chiffchaff about or the same one kept following us.

Had a spot of lunch then over to Greatham for a wander onto Amberley Brooks which was practically birdless unless you like Wrens........never seen so many.....they were everywhere.

Hi Mark, sounds good. Ruff, is that unusual for Pulborough? Chiffchaffs everywhere now in Sussex I think, keep hearing them here anyway. Isn't it great, a terriffic sign of spring!!! :t: :t:

I hope to go down to CH Tues or Wed depending on work and weather. Hope to see some good migrants now that the wind has changed!

Joanne

Last edited:
joannechattaway said:
Hi Mark, sounds good. Ruff, is that unusual for Pulborough?

Joanne

Hi Joanne

First one i have ever seen there i must admit.I think this one has been there all week although i thought i overheard someone say there had been 4 there at one point.

Have a good time at Cuckmere.

Combe Haven / Filsham... Monday morning

Hi everyone

I decided after your advice that I'd left it too late for winter finches, so took off early to Combe Haven / Filsham Reedbeds early this morning.

Arrived about 7.15am to a beautiful, sunny morning. The place was alive with birds and birdsong. In a way, its a rather frustrating environment unless you're VERY competent with calls and song, as there are constant LBJ's flitting from bush to reedbed and back, with no time to make ID's.

Chiff Chaffs everywhere, along with Reed Buntings. Walked up the watercourse until I peeled off for the boardwalk and viewing platform in the middle of the reedbed. The first real prize materialised immediately...heard a Water Rail alarm calling and then got a good view of it as it flew into the reeds. There were also a small flock of Shoveler, a pair of Teal and a pair of Wigeon on the pond.

I could hear Cetti's Warblers singing close by (what a wonderful and distinctive song), and hung around for ages but to no avail. I was also rather optimistically hoping for Bearded Tits, but they were not to show themselves all morning.

I continued up the waterway towards the water meadows, when another Cetti's burst into song about 10 feet away from me. My patience paid off, and I was rewarded with a good view of a notoriously (for me at least!) difficult bird to see.

The weather was glorious, and lots of fine views of other nice birds materialised; Stonechat, Great Spotted/Green Woodpeckers, Long Tails, etc.

Its a really lovely, distinctive spot to go birding, and Water Rail and Cetti's are two A class birds in my book. Met a chap who told me they had Marsh Harrier last year, although curiously I didn't spot a single raptor all morning...not even a Kestrel. Also noticeable by their absence were Pipits - of any variety...strange...

Wish I could make it for the group outing coming up, but after getting out this morning, I don't think my commanding officer would countenance leave of absence from official duties for the next few weeks! (read...wife...toddlers..."your turn"...).

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back