• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sleepy fluffy hummingbird (1 Viewer)

JKovacs

I have had a fluffy lil male humming bird sleeping on my porch for the last two days, i have feeders and string for perching. i was able to touch him lightly but eventually got spooked and he flew away unlike all the humming birds flying around him he stayed fluffy. I am looking for any info i can get on this.
i was thinking maybe he was hatched close to my house last year but dont know why he doesnt sleep in the bushes like all the other birds that are around. during dusk i will get around ten birds all buzzing around me so i dont see why he is the only one doing this now.

Attachments

• sleepy.JPG
    sleepy.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 118
Don't sick birds sometimes sit with their feathers fluffed out? (I hope this isn't the case.)

Signs of Illness: Fluffed Feathers

There are many indications that a bird may be ill. One of the most common and easy to recognize symptoms is puffiness. A sick bird will often sit with fluffed feathers to stay warm. When this happens, they lose that sleek trim appearance. Sometimes a fluffed bird will look ragged or fat. On occasion, perfectly healthy birds fluff up for short periods. If you frequently see them in this condition, however, there may be a problem. Be aware that even a sick bird will tighten his feathers if he perceives danger. So don't be surprised or fooled by a fluffed bird who suddenly pulls in and tightens his feathers when you approach. This is a defense mechanism so that he doesn't look as vulnerable to prey.

There is a Brown Headed Cow bird exhibiting the same behaiviour at my feeding station. It just sits there, puffed up but is also losing feathers from its head. Again, it flies off if I approach but comes back as soon as I have gone. I don't expect it to recover from whatever is wrong with it.

I stock 7 bird feeders, in addition to the 4 hummingbird feeders, so there are a LOT of birds hanging around. Sometimes I see one sitting, fluffed up, and it doesn't fly off till I get within inches of it. I know it is probably sick or infested with parasites. It saddens me to see how hard their lives are, even with a constant supplemental food supply, and there is nothing I can do to help. Nature is beautiful but she is also a cruel mistress.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back