• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 2nd tier spotting scope? (1 Viewer)

Mark9473

Belgium
I've never owned a spotting scope before, but now I'd like to get one to take on vacation. Just looking at wildlife, distant landmarks, boats at sea, and the occasional astro viewing (I'd mainly use my 15x60 binoculars for that).

Looking to spend €500 - €1000 eyepiece included (I do have a few tripods).
I would prefer to buy within the EU.

What are the recommended spotting scopes in my price range, and their pro's and con's?

To some degree, it depends on how you intend to use it. If you want an easily carried scope to take on moderate walks mounted on a monopod or lightweight tripod then the Nikon 50mm Fieldscope may be a good option. It won't be good in low light but how often will that be a serious problem? Otherwise, perhaps there's something in the Opticron range (50mm-80mm OGs) that might attract

The opticron mm3 range has been very popular lately especially as a traveling scope. (good performance relative to weight).

Another option would be to have a long reach camera and take photos of those distant objects.

Niels

Thank you both.
More thinking about something in the 65 - 80 mm range.
I'm looking into the Opticron range.

How would the Celestron Regal M2 be?
I have a bunch of astro eyepieces, which this scope would accept, and I hope that they'll be brighter and sharper at higher magnifications than the included zoom.

the regal 65 is a great scope..i had a copy of the older version,with extraordinary optics..the M2 is lighter,so better to travel..But for holidays and travelling,a small scope on a small tripod ends being the best option..the nikon ed50 is not dark per se...the small aperture cant compete with large scopes at high magnification,but in the 16X-20X is as bright as any large scope at 20-30X..the difference in detail between those magnifications is less than the nominal values,i think..the ED50 with a 20X wide is a killer scope ,and the nikon 13-40 x ,although amply critiziced for the narrow view,offers a fantastic image..better in my opinion than the MM3 that i tested last week,..i didnt like the feeling of the focusser ,the zoom felt as narrow as the nikon,and the view although nice ,i think was a tad below the nikon,definitely not better..still an option of course ,and the 60mm seems to be equally good(and equally below the EDIII !)

the regal 65 is a great scope..i had a copy of the older version,with extraordinary optics..the M2 is lighter,so better to travel..But for holidays and travelling,a small scope on a small tripod ends being the best option..the nikon ed50 is not dark per se...the small aperture cant compete with large scopes at high magnification,but in the 16X-20X is as bright as any large scope at 20-30X..the difference in detail between those magnifications is less than the nominal values,i think..the ED50 with a 20X wide is a killer scope ,and the nikon 13-40 x ,although amply critiziced for the narrow view,offers a fantastic image..better in my opinion than the MM3 that i tested last week,..i didnt like the feeling of the focusser ,the zoom felt as narrow as the nikon,and the view although nice ,i think was a tad below the nikon,definitely not better..still an option of course ,and the 60mm seems to be equally good(and equally below the EDIII !)

For completeness: which zoom on the opticron?

I have never tried the nikon, but have read opinions that go opposite of your opinion. I own a mm3 50 mm and it is good enough that my older 80 mm scope is collecting dust.

Regarding the celestron: is it splashproof? for a travel scope, you cannot be sure to only use it in good weather.

Niels

the nikon ed50 is not dark per se...the small aperture cant compete with large scopes at high magnification,but in the 16X-20X is as bright as any large scope at 20-30X..the difference in detail between those magnifications is less than the nominal values,i think..the ED50 with a 20X wide is a killer scope ,and the nikon 13-40 x ,although amply critiziced for the narrow view,offers a fantastic image..better in my opinion than the MM3 that i tested last week,.

I have 15x binoculars. The only reason for getting a spotting scope is reaching much higher magnifications than 20x or so.

I know from using telescopes in daytime that typically the view is plenty bright until the exit pupil size gets smaller than about 2 mm. So I'd expect good views till at least 40-50x in an 80mm scope. I have on occasion (when the atmosphere allowed) used an 80 mm telescope at 111x magnification for watching deer on a mountain some 6-7 km away.

The one thing I don't know is if there's anything in the objectives or prisms of a spotting scope, compared to a telescope, that limits brightness or resolution at higher magnifications. I can take the eyepiece out of the equation by using one of the Celestron spotting scopes with my astro eyepieces.

Hi,

if you have got good astro EPs, a scope which can take these is certainly a good idea... Pentax and Celestron Regal come to mind. Zeiss Diascope and Kowa large body series (88x and 77x) can take astro EPs with an adapter, but are out of your price range, probably even used.

Or with proprietary EPs any 2nd hand alpha...

Joachim

I use a Swarovski 30x75 draw tube with monopod. Weighs 1200g and is only 310mm in it's SOC extending to 490mm when in use. Bright sharp image only drawback is slower focusing. I rarely use a tripod with it, preferring to use my monopod with a long (12cm) spike. This combination is light enough to carry about all day.
Good luck in your searching.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back