• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern near Port Fairy, Victoria, Australia (1 Viewer)

kerrybv

Observed one small Tern standing among a group of Crested Terns on a beach a few miles west of Port Fairy this morning; 1 of the photos attached allows comparison of size with Crested Tern. ID assistance appreciated

Attachments

• DSCN8340_optimized.jpg
    DSCN8340_optimized.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN8308_2_optimized.jpg
    DSCN8308_2_optimized.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 60
would have to wait to the people with more experience but I did wonder if its White-fronted although the size suggests little tern

Last edited:
would have to wait to the people with more experience but I did wonder if its White-fronted although the size suggests little tern
Thanks Myoudale, according to a local bird observers club publication White-fronteds are uncommon around here, and Little (and Fairy) Terns are rare. Little Tern was my thought/guess, but by no means confident.

I think this is little tern. Reasons are: slight curve to the upper edge of the bill, completely black bill (no hint of brownish) and dark carpal (shoulder) bar, fairly long legs

Why isn't it a longipennis Common Tern?

I agree the plumage pattern looks good and at first glance I thought it was common. However, the bird looks c. half the size of the crested tern next to it. Common should be c40 cm vs 50, little c20-ish.

I agree the plumage pattern looks good and at first glance I thought it was common. However, the bird looks c. half the size of the crested tern next to it. Common should be c40 cm vs 50, little c20-ish.

Size illusion is well known in shots like this and I doubt that your / our impression of size, can be relied upon?

Little Tern should have much shorter legs than this. Also head pattern different with black mask contrasting with freckled crown. Carpal bar usually less distinct on Little. Little also lacks dark outer web to outermost tail feather. Common Tern for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back