• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 kinds. (1 Viewer)

It's slow for hummingbirds everywhere I've been in southeast Arizona lately. Three species at my own feeders in Rio Rico; Broad-billed, Black-chinned and Rufous.

We only get one species of hummer here (ruby throated). I've read that there are Rufus occasionally, but I nor anyone I know have ever seen one. You are very lucky to have more than one species! Enjoy........

I have four feeders that are up all year round and they have been for many years now. I only have 1-2 birds per feeder now because there is seldom a fight where usually there is constant bickering over who "owns" the feeder.. During this last Spring migration I may have seen a couple more but that's it. It's been slow the last few months. I assumed this was just my neighborhood and not a general trend.

Last edited:
I've got two species here (Anna's and Black-chinned), but plenty of them! A quick walk around the neighborhood can turn up 10 hummingbirds! At my feeders there are usually only 1 to 3 at a time though.

I'm hoping that the lull in hummingbird activity at my feeders is because the desert is flowering pretty good this spring. I also don't have many bees anymore at the feeders, which may also point to many flowers available now.

Oh well, there are quite a few Gila Woodpeckers and Hooded Orioles using the feeders along with the hummingbirds.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back