• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide App (1 Viewer)

just looked at their reasoning in the above link..
put it this way.. If they aren't capable of doing what thousands of companies, and individual developers have done, and produce an Android app, then there is no way I would trust their competence and buy any future app. Even if they overcome their "difficulties"!

Last edited:
just looked at their reasoning in the above link..
put it this way.. If they aren't capable of doing what thousands of companies, and individual developers have done, and produce an Android app, then there is no way I would trust their competence and buy any future app. Even if they overcome their "difficulties"!

Firstly, I am slightly biased being a dedicated iPhone user. Apple or Google, at the end of the day you're tied to one of them and personally I dislike Google more than I do Apple....and sorry, but as for Windows phones and Apps they've still got a long long way to catch up, maybe in a few years microsoft will join the race.

I think at the end of the day it boils down to one thing...cost. IOS is a far easier platform to work with so stands to reason to go for this first. Maybe the funding for developing an android version was to come from sales of the IOS version and this hasn't been met? I assume it would work on an Ipod touch which would be a cheaper way of getting it now rather than forking out for an iPhone.

Last edited:
I wouldn't dream of buying new hardware in order to install an app, if that is what is being suggested. Plus I like my outdoor devices waterproof thank you. But it is an option if anyone is desperate!

You don't need to have everything that is released.. I have all the information I need in the field, on Android apps (or in my head!) for the best chance of me identifying any call or bird on my travels :)
Nothing else will improve my chances.

Peter

Last edited:
Comment #48 in the discussion linked above hints somehow that an Android version is to be expected sooner or later...

To me the same: no way I'd buy an i-something just to use this app. The paper collins isn't that bad after all ;)

I wouldn't dream of buying new hardware in order to install an app, if that is what is being suggested. Plus I like my outdoor devices waterproof thank you. But it is an option if anyone is desperate!

You don't need to have everything that is released.. I have all the information I need in the field, on Android apps (or in my head!) for the best chance of me identifying any call or bird on my travels :)
Nothing else will improve my chances.

Peter

I've yet to find any device that IS waterproof?

Comment #48 in the discussion linked above hints somehow that an Android version is to be expected sooner or later...

To me the same: no way I'd buy an i-something just to use this app. The paper collins isn't that bad after all ;)

I am a little bit in the same boat. :-O I do not own a smartphone, I wanted to be able to use a birding app, so I bought a small tablet. Due to restrictions on how google handles the place I live, the ipad mini was my only real choice - if I had lived elsewhere, who knows what I would have done.

The ipad has gotten other uses since (which I to some extent was aware of ahead of time) but the birding app was what pushed me to pull the trigger.

Niels

I am a little bit in the same boat. :-O I do not own a smartphone

Well, not exactly, I am not that old fashioned 3:)

I just don't own any apple toys. I have a small android phone and I would certainly buy the collins app, if available. That would be about 10 € or so. 10 € plus 600 € for an iphone, rather not :-O

Is the Collins Bird Guide App on Android yet as I am unsure whether to get an Apple I-Pad or a Samsung Tablet as don't want to get one which can't load Bird Guides please help

Adrian

The only thing the app does better than the book is sound... for android users look for the Bird Sounds app. hey presto no need for the birdguides app.

a waterproof collins bird guide app would be nice, so to speak…

what I have heard in sweden (author Svensson and artist Zetterström are swedish),
an android version is looked into,
but it was said that "it's more difficult on Android with different screens sizes etc.",
don't know if that is a valid reason,
and for what I have heard,
it works best on an iPad.
(that was before the iPhone 6 and 6+)

Again, and I've said this earlier.. if they are not capable of doing what hundreds of other companies and individuals can do, and produce a reliable app on Android.. then I wouldn't trust my hard earned cash with them if and when an app is released!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back