• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide (1 Viewer)

mike hawley

Occasional Alcoholic
Having had a sabbatical from bird watching (family😏😬 stuff) I recently rekindled my interest. I always used to view Collins as the best field guide and was wondering if anything has been published in the past few years that compares favourably. I tend to use the iPhone version of Collins for convenience in the field but have the book back home as backup.

Having had a sabbatical from bird watching (family😏😬 stuff) I recently rekindled my interest. I always used to view Collins as the best field guide and was wondering if anything has been published in the past few years that compares favourably. I tend to use the iPhone version of Collins for convenience in the field but have the book back home as backup.

Yes - Collins second edition! 8-P

The handy pocket guide Birdwatchers Pocket Guide by Peter Hayman and Bob Hulme is a great back up to Collins.Easy to slip into your pocket or rucksack.
It has brilliant illustrations.

If you are an iPhone (or iPad) user, there is also the Collins app although I suspect that you might need some mobile internet signal to use it - I don't know as I don't have an iPhone and there isn't an android or windows phone app.

I take it everywhere with me (it only weighs a few ounces) and it helped me I.D. a female Smew on the Welsh Harp (Brent Reservoir) last winter.

I purchased a replacement copy (flexicover) this year from Amazon for just over £4.00, inc.P&P.

Whilst it doesn't have range maps; it's a cracking little guide.

I recommend it to anyone with an interest in birding.

If you are an iPhone (or iPad) user, there is also the Collins app although I suspect that you might need some mobile internet signal to use it - I don't know as I don't have an iPhone and there isn't an android or windows phone app.

You don't need signal to use it

The handy pocket guide Birdwatchers Pocket Guide by Peter Hayman and Bob Hulme is a great back up to Collins.Easy to slip into your pocket or rucksack.
It has brilliant illustrations.

It is cheap but why does Collins need a back up? Are there data in Hayman's and Hulme's book not included in the Collins?

There are a lot of nice applications for Android also (containing sounds too) and a couple of nice books of different formats.

Last edited:
It is cheap but why does Collins need a back up? Are ther data in Hayman's and Hulme's book nit included in the Collins?

There are a lot of nice applications for Android also (containing sounds too) and a couple of nice books of different format.

............ because, as I explained, you can put it in your pocket![it is a pocket book after all]
Ever tried carrying your Collins book around in your fleece pocket? -hence it is a useful back-up.

Last edited:
............ because, as I explained, you can put it in your pocket![it is a pocket book after all]
Ever tried carrying your Collins book around in your fleece pocket? -hence it is a useful back-up.

No, but I put it in my Dark Skies Apparel Hooded Vest pocket easily. And in a couple of Jackets and my monosling and backpack. But i know what you mean. At this price I'm going to try it.

No, but I put it in my Dark Skies Apparel Hooded Vest pocket easily. And in a couple of Jackets and my monosling and backpack. But i know what you mean. At this price I'm going to try it.
You won't regret it-I always take it on my trips to Europe.
As I say the illustrations alone are top notch.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back