• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

isabellina / isabellinus (1 Viewer)

I have not checked the "Turtur isabellinus", but in Isabelline Wheatear Oenanthe isabellina, and Isabelline (Chinese or Turkestan) Shrike Lanius isabellinus, it´s a colour.

In Swedish we have this word, isabell, since 1637 and in the version ijssbellfärgad (Isabella-coloured) since 1667, but in English it has been used since at least the year 1600, as in "Isabella-colour satten” (silk).

But it sure makes me wonder. Why did you started this "guess", Martin? What made you doubt this long established explanation? What´s not Isabella-coloured in Bonaparte's (Turtle) Dove? In my view any Streptopelia turtur ssp. would be as Isabella-coloured as the other ...

Björn

You might be right. Even with my non existing latin do not see the beige or Isabella-colour.
T. Isabellinus Bp.; Mus. Berol. ex Insulis AEgypti superioris, Similis T. aurito, sed minor; capite dorso concolore, nec griseo; plumis dorsalibus paucis nigro tantum centralis.

But if I look at Zenaida aurita (?similar according Bonaparte?) I feel the colour is correct.

You might be right. Even with my non existing latin do not see the beige or Isabella-colour.
The bird is said to be pale in the French sentence that precedes the Latin diagnosis:
Ajoutez à Turtur lugens une race qui est au contraire de couleur pâle, et qui provient aussi de l'Afrique orientale.​
("Add to Turtur lugens a race which is on the contrary of a pale colour, and which comes as well from eastern Africa.")

Then, in the Latin diagnosis, there is also:
capite dorso concolore, nec griseo
...which means "the head concolorous with the back, and not grey". This gives you something like [this].

But if I look at Zenaida aurita (?similar according Bonaparte?) I feel the colour is correct.
(The comparison is not with Zenaida aurita; it is with 'Turtur auritus', which is a name Bonaparte used for what we now call Streptopelia turtur. Cf. https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/4616569 )

I have not checked the "Turtur isabellinus", but in Isabelline Wheatear Oenanthe isabellina, and Isabelline (Chinese or Turkestan) Shrike Lanius isabellinus, it´s a colour.

In Swedish we have this word, isabell, since 1637 and in the version ijssbellfärgad (Isabella-coloured) since 1667, but in English it has been used since at least the year 1600, as in "Isabella-colour satten” (silk).

But it sure makes me wonder. Why did you started this "guess", Martin? What made you doubt this long established explanation? What´s not Isabella-coloured in Bonaparte's (Turtle) Dove? In my view any Streptopelia turtur ssp. would be as Isabella-coloured as the other ...

Björn

Legend has it that the colour’s name comes from the name Isabella, after a lady whose husband left her to go on Crusade and she swore that she would not change her clothes until he returned. When he returned the clothes were a dirty beige and this colour was called “isabelline”. It really is just a legend as I am sure I have read that the word isabelline predates the Crusades.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back