• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any suggested tripod and head for EOS 350D plus EF 400mm f/5.6? (1 Viewer)

Maurice Lai

456 will be the next...
Hi all,

I'm looking for a tripod and head for my 350D(should be 40D/5D Mark II later 3:) ) and 400mm f/5.6(actually... not purchase yet...:storm:), any good idea for that? I'm not believe on my handheld so tripod should be my good friend when I hiking and take bird photos. Is that a eye-level tripod is more popular and suitable for bird photography? I'm 186cm height.

Thanks
Maurice

Last edited:
Hi Maurice,

I've got the 20D and 400mm f5,6 and mostly I can quite easily had hold provided the lighting is pretty good. I always carry a sturdy monopod in case the skies cloud over.

If it's cloudy when I set off then I do take a tripod on occasion, depending on how far I'll be walking. Even a carbon fibre one gets pretty heavy after a couple of miles. I'm 188cm and find the Manfrotto 055 ideal for height though it's a little heavy to carry around. Since I've moved onto the 443 Carbon One model which is basically the same design/height though a lot lighter.

I'm just using the 128RC tripod head as I already had it for digiscoping as well.

IanF said:
I'm 188cm and find the Manfrotto 055 ideal for height though it's a little heavy to carry around. Since I've moved onto the 443 Carbon One model which is basically the same design/height though a lot lighter.

I'm just using the 128RC tripod head as I already had it for digiscoping as well.

I also use 055 legs and would recommend them to anyone, they are solid, versatile and easy to use. I also have a 443 but don't use it so much now - it is lighter than the 055, but the 'footprint' is much smaller so it isn't quite as stable. If you want a very lightweight, very stable tripod, the new Swarovski carbon fibre (CT101) is worth looking at, as is the Velbon 631CF.

I agree that the Manfrotto 128 is a great head and will be more than capable of holding your camera/lens combo. Also look at the 501 head, it is bigger and heavier than the 128, but is very stable and smooth to move.

IanF said:
Hi Maurice,

I've got the 20D and 400mm f5,6 and mostly I can quite easily had hold provided the lighting is pretty good. I always carry a sturdy monopod in case the skies cloud over.

If it's cloudy when I set off then I do take a tripod on occasion, depending on how far I'll be walking. Even a carbon fibre one gets pretty heavy after a couple of miles. I'm 188cm and find the Manfrotto 055 ideal for height though it's a little heavy to carry around. Since I've moved onto the 443 Carbon One model which is basically the same design/height though a lot lighter.

Thanks IanF.

Is that monopod better than tripod when bird photography in hiking? I will go with my Sigma 180mm macro for insects, is that tripod should be better when swap these two lens?

postcardcv said:
I also use 055 legs and would recommend them to anyone, they are solid, versatile and easy to use. I also have a 443 but don't use it so much now - it is lighter than the 055, but the 'footprint' is much smaller so it isn't quite as stable. If you want a very lightweight, very stable tripod, the new Swarovski carbon fibre (CT101) is worth looking at, as is the Velbon 631CF.

I agree that the Manfrotto 128 is a great head and will be more than capable of holding your camera/lens combo. Also look at the 501 head, it is bigger and heavier than the 128, but is very stable and smooth to move.

Thank you postcardcv.

Yes I'm looking for a lightweight and stable tripod/monopod because I always go hiking with a tele, a macro and a wide-standard zoom lens. Thank you for your suggestion. ;)

Maurice Lai said:
Thanks IanF.

Is that monopod better than tripod when bird photography in hiking? I will go with my Sigma 180mm macro for insects, is that tripod should be better when swap these two lens?
90% of the time I make do with a monopod. I generally do my bird watching whilst out wakling/hiking and carying a tripod can be a treal pain - literally. A monopod is much lighter and easier to carry around as it weighs very little and can be just as firm as a tripod after a little practice. I either brace it against my body or if possible against a fence or tree.

It needs to be a decent rigid one such as the ones made by Manfrotto. There are many on the market that are way too flexible/flimsy.

For macro photos a monopod is easier to track insects with.

For steadiness every time though then a tripod wins hands down.

Geoff Pain said:
Out of interest what head do you use on the monopod Ian?
I don't!

The monopod doesn't really need a head as such as you can move it easily enough to the right angle. I just connect the bracket for the lens straight to the monopod which I leave in place and sling from my camera bag - though it's good as a wakling pole as well. I just fit the camera when I want to use it.

With this lens and Camera I use the Manfrotto 055 prob tripod and the 488 RC2 head - solid as a rock. I also have Manfrotto 680B monopod with a 234 Rc head which is a lot lighter for long treks, this is a cracking combo.
Must admit that I tend to handhold the lens most of the time but use one of the Pods when I have the 1.4 tc attached.

IanF said:
90% of the time I make do with a monopod. I generally do my bird watching whilst out wakling/hiking and carying a tripod can be a treal pain - literally. A monopod is much lighter and easier to carry around as it weighs very little and can be just as firm as a tripod after a little practice. I either brace it against my body or if possible against a fence or tree.

It needs to be a decent rigid one such as the ones made by Manfrotto. There are many on the market that are way too flexible/flimsy.

For macro photos a monopod is easier to track insects with.

For steadiness every time though then a tripod wins hands down.

Thank you for your shared experience. I will consider the option of monopod. ;)

Roy C said:
With this lens and Camera I use the Manfrotto 055 prob tripod and the 488 RC2 head - solid as a rock. I also have Manfrotto 680B monopod with a 234 Rc head which is a lot lighter for long treks, this is a cracking combo.
Must admit that I tend to handhold the lens most of the time but use one of the Pods when I have the 1.4 tc attached.

Thanks Roy. Since I'm a very newbie of bird photography o:) , I think 1/500 shutter speed is the minimum for me to prevent the hand shake when handheld. Will that shutter speed over 1/500 when using ISO 800 for the bird on tree? I will consider handheld or monopod if that is fast enough. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back