• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve, Portugal 6th to 13th October 2012 (1 Viewer)

Stranger

Day1
Easyjet flight from Bristol Airport To Faro where we picked up our hire car from Europcar.
Note that Europcar has a gizmo that registers at the tolls.You leave your credit card open for 30 days and the toll fees are taken automatically.
We were told that this is the best option as otherwise the collections go to agencies that charge collection fees that can vary enormously.
We took the A22 to our apartment at Praia Da Oura, Albufeira.
Birds seen.
House Sparrows Faro Airport
Common Buzzard A22
Cattle Egrets A22
After checking in a stroll round the grounds and the beach produced.
Blackbird
House Sparrows
Sardinian Warbler
Lesser Blackbacked Gulls
Blackheaded Gulls
Little Egret
Turnstone
Dunlin
Curlew
Cormorant

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 68
Day 2 Morning at Sagres Festival

Up early to take the A22 Lagos,then N125 To Sagres to catch the last day of the Festival.
Most of the events were fully booked,but after looking around the stalls and chatting to the volunteers(?) we were invited to join a guided walk around Sagres heading toward the Castle.
Whilst waiting for the walk to start we were treated to a spectacular view of Dolphins jumping and frolicking in the bay.
The walk produced
Spotless Starlings
Many Stonechats
Numerous Spotted Flycatchers
Blue Rock Thrush
Northern Gannet
Stock Dove
Jackdaws
Sardinian Warblers
Wheatear
Thekla Lark
Common Buzzard
Robin
Kestrel
Whinchat
There were other birds seen,I missed out on quite a few because I have a temporary sight problem and find it hard to focus on the smaller birds.
After the walk we were told of a possible release of an Eagle at Beliche.
Unfortunately we missed the release and moved on to the Raptor viewpoint at Cabranosa.

Day2 continued, Cabranosa Raptor Viewpoint

Arrived at Cabranosa to find the Spea official and a small group of British birdwatchers on watch.
The general consensus was that the migration had been rather slow so far,
However in the time we were there we saw.
Kestrel
Common Buzzard
Honey Buzzard
Booted Eagle
Black Kites
Peregrine Falcons.
Many thanks to Danny and the Ex pats for I.D. help and general info.
At both Beliche and Cabranosa there were hundreds if not thousands of Dragonflies apparently on migration too.

Day 3 Quinta do Lago

Joy and I love this place. We usually visit in February so were looking forward to seeing it at a different time of year.
Slightly disappointed as there was`nt as many waders or wildfowl as we would normally see and the water was a vivid shade of green.
But it did`nt let us down.
Ringed Plover,Grey Plover,Redshank,Grey Heron,Little Egret,Wheatear,Stonechat,Blackbird,Thekla Lark,Spotted Flycatcher,Hoopoe,
Collared Dove,Gadwall,Coot,Mallard,,Sardinian Warbler,Robin,Moorhen,Cormorant,Flamingo,Azure Winged Magpie,Pochard,Curlew,Black Tailed Godwit,Cetti`s Warbler
The bird of the day and perhaps the week.... LITTLE BITTERN!
Photos to follow.

Excellent Little Bittern and some nice raptors.
Nice report Mr Stranger... seems like you had a good time.
Back again next Feb?

The Algarve is on my to do list, but I've never quite got round to it!

Hi Birdman.
I would say go if you can, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
We have been going on and off for for about 12 years now and will certainly be going again.

Little Bittern

Difficult to get a decent view,but these are the best of the many shots I took.

Attachments

• 283.JPG
    283.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 120
  • 286.JPG
    286.JPG
    340.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 287.JPG
    287.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 92
Day 4 Gibraltar

Decided to do a coach trip to Gibraltar today as that is where Joy and I bought our wedding rings ten years ago.
That it is also the Raptor crossing point had nothing to do with my agreeing to this, honest:-O
Having seen the apes on a previous visit we decided to stay around the town.
This turned out to be a bad decision as there was a thick smog around the border crossing and nothing to be seen at all.
At least Joy enjoyed the shopping.
Birds seen all day were.
House Sparrows
Feral Pigeons
Cattle Egrets
Little Egrets
Azure Winged Magpies.
There were more smaller birds about but they proved too difficult to identify with any certainty from a moving coach.

Joy and I love this place. We usually visit in February so were looking forward to seeing it at a different time of year.
Slightly disappointed as there was`nt as many waders or wildfowl as we would normally see and the water was a vivid shade of green.
But it did`nt let us down.
Ringed Plover,Grey Plover,Redshank,Grey Heron,Little Egret,Wheatear,Stonechat,Blackbird,Thekla Lark,Spotted Flycatcher,Hoopoe,
Collared Dove,Gadwall,Coot,Mallard,,Sardinian Warbler,Robin,Moorhen,Cormorant,Flamingo,Azure Winged Magpie,Pochard,Curlew,Black Tailed Godwit,Cetti`s Warbler
The bird of the day and perhaps the week.... LITTLE BITTERN!
Photos to follow.

Did you not connect with Purple Swamphen at Quinta do Lago - usually easy enough?

Are you sure the lark was Thekla? They aren't usually that far east in Algarve. They occur around Sagres. I've only ever seen Crested at Quinta do Lago. I agree with you though, I love the place.

Did you not connect with Purple Swamphen at Quinta do Lago - usually easy enough?

Are you sure the lark was Thekla? They aren't usually that far east in Algarve. They occur around Sagres. I've only ever seen Crested at Quinta do Lago. I agree with you though, I love the place.

Lawts.
The Gallinules were conspicous by their absence this time round,we usually get very good views here.
As for the Thekla, you are right, it must have been Crested Lark.
I am having problems with my sight at the moment, (cataracts in one eye)and have problems with the smaller birds unless they stay still long enough for me to get a good focus on them.

Day 5 Odelouca,Foia,Salgados (Pera Marsh)

Odelouca.
White Stork
Cattle Egret
Little Egret
Great White Egret.
Blackheaded Gull
LBB Gull

Foia
Wheatear
Stonechat

Salgados. What a great place this is.If you have`nt signed the petition against the developement yet please do so, it would be a shame to lose such a wonderful place.
Birds seen
Flamingo
Spoonbill
Marsh Harrier
Caspian Tern
Arctic Tern
Ringed Plover
Kentish Plover
Blackwinged Stilt
Avocet
Lapwing
Dunlin
Snipe
Redshank
Mallard
Gadwall
White Stork
Coot
Moorhen
Little Grebe
Cormorant
Fantailed Warbler
Chiffchaff (possible Iberian,will post Photo for I.D. later)

Stranger,

I was in the Algarve the week before you, and although it wasn't a 'strictly birding' holiday, I did manage to get and see quite a few birds whilst there. In addition to the birds you saw with the exception of Little Bittern and Great White Egret, I managed to see the following:

Black-shouldered Kite - an individual was present around our villa at Vales de Pera on several occasions giving stunning views.
Purple Swamphen - two individuals showed right in front of the hide at Vilamoura.
Rock Bunting & Dartford Warbler - on top of Foia.
Cory's and Balearic Shearwaters - off Sagres and Cabo de Sao Vicente.
Common Waxbill - seen at Vilamoura and Porches.
Black-headed Weaver - Vilamoura.
Osprey - Alvor.
Alpine Swift and Crag Martin - over the villa at Vales de Pera, on our last evening.
sharpei Green Woodpecker - present near the villa.

In addition several common species were presumably migrating through the area with Common Redstart, Pied Flycatcher, Whitethroat and Garden Warbler all seen around the villa.

Last edited:
Stranger on the shore?
Nice to have met you and Joy down at QdL and Foia.
We had a nice wryneck at Quinta on Saturday morning which Tina and I were very pleased about.
I wondered whether anyone could offer an ID on this large arachnid that we saw at Cabrinosa raptor watch point last week and pointede out by Martin:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/micksway/8112623330/in/photostream
May I remind anyone interested in preserving Algarve wildlife habitat of the ongoing efforts
to save the Salgados wetland:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/3070/t/86576.aspx
Thanks
Mick
:t:

Last edited:
Hi Mick and Tina
Nice meeting you both.
I missed out on a lot of the smaller stuff and have mis-identified some by the looks of things.Damn Cataracts!
The good news is that I have finally got a date for a pre-op assessment,so hopefully that problem will be resolved and I will have to find another excuse for my crap I.D. skills.
I`m jealous of the Wryneck,we had one locally at Brean Down and I missed that too.

Day 6 Sagres Castle,Beliche. Cabranosa

A Sight seeing trip around the castle produced.
Goldfinch.
Linnet
Female Black Redstart
LBB Gulls
BH Gulls
Stonechat.
Beliche produced,
Chough
Crag Martin
Another Visit to Cabranosa produced much the same as the first visit.
Black Kites
Honey Buzzard
Common Buzzard
Booted Eagle.
After Cabranosa we decided to take the track that eventually leads to Vila do Bispo which produced the following.
Kestrel
Common Buzzard.
Lesser Grey Shrike

Hi again Stranger,

Surely you mean Southern/Iberian Grey Shrike?

Lesser Grey has never been recorded in Portugal ;)

Simon

Simon,Don`t know why I put lesser when I have already had the bird in question identified by you and others,
Can only put it down to lack of concentration and posting after along day at work.
Either that or premature senility!
I think I need another holiday.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back