• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Scaup ????? (1 Viewer)

Bazza sample

These two ducks were noted on a local NE England lake two days ago and were photographed and tagged as lesser scaup on our local Facebook page. I’m not certain as to whether they are lesser scaup so a bit of I.d. Help is needed !!

Attachments

• B126E1E4-A04E-43C4-A2E6-7CE4C31DD559.jpg
    B126E1E4-A04E-43C4-A2E6-7CE4C31DD559.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 198
Nutcracker said:
Thanks! Wish you'd said 2 days ago - quite a scarce bird locally, a lot of people would like to see them
Ummm... he did say two days ago in his original post.

Ummm... he did say two days ago in his original post.

Yep, I know! That's when they were seen; it's very annoying that a local rarity (and potentially, a significant national rarity) was not mentioned for 2 days, and when it was, without a location until prompted, despite the location being a public park. I'm just hoping they'll still be there tomorrow . . .

Any photo's that give an idea of size? Lesser Scaup are very small, smaller than tufted duck for example. I agree with Greater Scaup from pic

Last edited:
Yes nice birds and nice photograph, you don,t always need reservoirs to see such birds thou that is where I saw my first greater scaup, If your lucky enough and sometimes the time of the day helps a small back water can provide some nice surprises, only this winter such a water near me hosted 3 whooper swans Its the first time I,ve heard of tundra swans on there before.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back