Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Absolute top 10x (under $3000)

Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 07:27   #76
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
Funny I just wrote to my friend earlier this evening that Leica binos had not been talked up much in this thread.
I think they should. Zeiss (SF, HT), Swaro (SV) and Leica (NV, UVHD+) all have their special qualities and all of them need to be evaluated if you want to make an enlightened choice. But the fact that all are very good binoculars is no guarantee that all of them will fit everyones eyes and preferences.

For the 10x mag models my impression is that SF and NV works best with glasses though. But the others might work as well.

Last edited by Vespobuteo : Saturday 10th March 2018 at 07:45.
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 15:04   #77
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Hey guys my friend was looking at Mavens and wondering if they compare with these other Alpha Binoculars? They come in at half the price and you know people with money always want the best deal they can get. I've heard some good things about the company and that they are alpha and are lower cost because you buy direct. I think they are made in Japan, right? Are they in the same ballpark with the alphas we've been talking about? They have an interesting demo deal where you order a demo at full price but they don't charge your card at the time, and then you can either keep it at a discount or send it back and buy new or just forget the whole deal.
IMO nothing wrong with a Maven whatsoever. I've used the B1 8X42 and B2 9X45 a good bit. Nothing to complain about and both work well for me with eyeglasses. Maven also offers and excellent way to try a binocular before you buy which I like. I wouldn't say they are quite on par with some of the other mentioned binoculars but they are certainly a nice option. But best at any expense was mentioned so I believe most stuck with that.

Quote:
Funny I just wrote to my friend earlier this evening that Leica binos had not been talked up much in this thread.
For ME there are several reasons I haven't. One reason is I didn't want to confuse the issue. Several nice binoculars that are excellent have been mentioned. I THINK about twenty different binoculars have been mentioned. How does one even consider all that? Another reason is I don't have an UVHD+ 10X42 or a Trinovid HD 10X32 so I didn't want to talk about something I have no experience with. Lastly....I was considering weight. I don't know if the Noctivid 10X42 is the best 10X42 or not BUT it's pretty close! I sure use it more than my SV 10X42. BUT it weighs a little more than some of the others mentioned. If a little extra weight isn't an issue then by all means throw the Noctivid in the hat.

So here's my final non-complicated list.

Best 10X42 for eyeglass wearers:

1a. Noctivid 10X42
1b. SF 10X42
2. SV 10X42

Best 10X for a 5ft 70yo lady. None of us are getting any younger:

1. SV 10X32
2. SF 10X42(I wish it were smaller)

PICS
#1. SF 42mm, Trinovid HD 42mm, UVHD+ 42mm, SV 32mm
#2. SV 42mm, SF 42mm
#3. Noctivd 10X42 and SV 10X42
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00567.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	655906  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2604.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	655907  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3474_5.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	655908  

Last edited by chill6x6 : Saturday 10th March 2018 at 15:13. Reason: spelling

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 16:10   #78
black crow

Yeah I'm overwhelmed. I have experience with none of these binos and only have one alpha myself which is a Swarovski that doesn't qualify.
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 20:52   #79
kabsetz

Black Crow,

Chuck's advice in post #77 is excellent and should be enough for you and your friend to go by. He owns and uses all of the models he talks about here, they are all premium, and all are slightly different in view, handling and relative strengths. None have any particularly significant weaknesses. Have her try out those four models on Chuck's non-complicated list and choose the one she prefers most. She'll be happy for as long as she can keep on birding.

Kimmo
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 00:10   #80
PeterPS

Given their price these must be the best existing 10x binocs (at least in the compact class). Unfortunately they're outside your price range.
https://www.amazon.com/Hawke-Sport-O...rds=binoculars
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 00:54   #81
black crow

She could manage it. What's the fov?
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 00:58   #82
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabsetz View Post
Black Crow,

Chuck's advice in post #77 is excellent and should be enough for you and your friend to go by. He owns and uses all of the models he talks about here, they are all premium, and all are slightly different in view, handling and relative strengths. None have any particularly significant weaknesses. Have her try out those four models on Chuck's non-complicated list and choose the one she prefers most. She'll be happy for as long as she can keep on birding.

Kimmo

Looks like her first order will be for the Zeiss 10X42 SF. She got a deal at Sports Optics and she is waiting for a shipment to come in. If she loves it that will be as far as it goes. If something isn't right then I don't know and she likely doesn't either know what will be next. I was so envious I had to order another binocular for myself. (Opticron 8x32). She may have better but I'll have more.

Last edited by black crow : Friday 16th March 2018 at 01:00.
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 01:12   #83
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
Given their price these must be the best existing 10x binocs (at least in the compact class). Unfortunately they're outside your price range.
https://www.amazon.com/Hawke-Sport-O...rds=binoculars
Quote:
She could manage it. What's the fov?
About $26 per FOV linear foot!

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 16th March 2018, 03:06   #84
PeterPS

Quote:
Looks like her first order will be for the Zeiss 10X42 SF
Very good choice indeed!
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 04:28   #85
SuperDuty

I think she made the right move, hopefully they work out for her.
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 10:06   #86
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
Very good choice indeed!
It should be. It's my choice also.
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 14:18   #87
[email protected]
Forum Member

The Zeiss 10x42 SF is a very good choice. Good ergonomics and weight distribution and a smooth focus. Easy to handle for an older lady.
Old Friday 16th March 2018, 14:34   #88
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Looks like her first order will be for the Zeiss 10X42 SF. She got a deal at Sports Optics and she is waiting for a shipment to come in.
For her first 10X...believe she'll Love It!

Ted

Old Friday 16th March 2018, 14:34   #89
Maljunulo

We'll all be waiting to hear how she likes them.
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 15:21   #90
black crow

Change of plans guys. She bought my 8x50B Swarovski and I found this this deal here and she ordered one to see how it goes. She's got 30 days to see how they perform. https://www.tractoptics.com/products...hd-10x42-gen-1

She's bought three good pair of binos this week. Am I envious? You figure it out. However I had the fun of finding them for her.

Last edited by black crow : Wednesday 21st March 2018 at 15:58.
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 17:19   #91
[email protected]
Forum Member

Are you in the will?
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 18:41   #92
black crow

Actually I am. If she dies and her family cannot do it, I take over the two dogs I trained for her and I get a couple hundred grand for dog food and effort. I'd have done it anyway. Oh and I inherit her binoculars and a pair of great Bower and Wilkins tower speakers.

Last edited by black crow : Wednesday 21st March 2018 at 18:44.
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 18:55   #93
[email protected]
Forum Member

Quote:
Actually I am. If she dies and her family cannot do it, I take over the two dogs I trained for her and I get a couple hundred grand for dog food and effort. I'd have done it anyway. Oh and I inherit her binoculars and a pair of great Bower and Wilkins tower speakers.
A couple hundred grand will buy a LOT of dog food! Those are nice speakers.
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 19:11   #94
black crow

Yeah I helped pick those Towers out. They are one of the best speakers I've ever heard and I've heard a lot of em. She has the perfect acoustic space for them in a huge room with 20 ft + ceiling.

I love both those dogs. I owned one of them for about 4 years and rehomed him because he fell in love with her and her dog. He's a big bullmastiff/pitbull of about 120 lb. named Kilo.
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 20:05   #95
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Dogs

My family, plus the wife of course.

A.W.

Last edited by dries1 : Sunday 8th April 2018 at 21:57.

Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 20:36   #96
black crow

What beauties. I'd share mine but I'm not computer literate and I got this message when I tried. I have no idea how to resize them.
Quote:
"The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1600 x 1200. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 3648 x 2736".
Old Sunday 1st April 2018, 16:48   #97
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Change of plans guys. She bought my 8x50B Swarovski and I found this this deal here and she ordered one to see how it goes. She's got 30 days to see how they perform. https://www.tractoptics.com/products...hd-10x42-gen-1

She's bought three good pair of binos this week. Am I envious? You figure it out. However I had the fun of finding them for her.
Hey John .... What's the word on the Toric UHD 10X42? I am also curious why she went for the outgoing UHD rather than the just introduced HT version with the Schott HT glass. I got the impression that the $100 difference would not be a deal breaker for her. Thanks.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 1st April 2018, 16:56   #98
black crow

It came friday and she wasn't home to sign so it's going to wait until Monday for us to view it. Today we are viewing her new Nikon Monarch 8x30 and I'm getting my new Kowa Genesis 8x33. I'll be sure to let you know.

It was not a deal breaker but the reviews on the originals were very good and the new are an unknown so to get her interested in what I think will satisfy her possibly short lived interest in 10x I recommended the original. She can upgrade anytime. She's in love with the Swarovski 8x50s I just sold her and that's all she'll talk about right now.

Last edited by black crow : Sunday 1st April 2018 at 16:59.
Old Sunday 1st April 2018, 17:06   #99
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Well that's too bad. That would drive me crazy knowing all weekend they were sitting close by in the UPS truck ..... So close yet so far! In the meantime I look forward to hear both of your thoughts on the Nikon Monarch 7 8X30.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd April 2018, 02:21   #100
Maljunulo

I'm getting confused.

Did she or did she not order Zeiss SF?

If yes, did she get them yet?

If yes, what was her impression of them?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: