Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sadly, Vortex quality control is all over the place

Old Monday 5th March 2018, 01:07   #1
nacmancer

Sadly, Vortex quality control is all over the place

If you visit my vortex solo first impressions in the Vortex subsection, I talk about how I recently purchased an solo 8x25 model, and one of the occular eyepiece elements was rattling around in the eyepiece. I've returned it.

But since then I've purchases a Vortex vanquish on Amazon for my uncle, it received it yesterday, and it looks like the entire right barrel assembly was sloppily put together, with a optical large blur in the upper corner, and I'm kinda sure it's uncollimated with the eye strain I got from looking through it.

The out of the box quality of Vortex's entry level offerings are hit and miss right now (I got two misses total), and I'm hesitant right now to recommend them to anyone looking for affordable binoculars or getting into binoculars.

I'm going to attempt to see how their warranty service is.

Last edited by nacmancer : Monday 5th March 2018 at 01:11.
Old Monday 5th March 2018, 01:33   #2
black crow

I bought a Vanquish just a few weeks ago for my auto glove box and they seem great. Sorry to hear you're having issues. I think their warranty service is very good.
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 12:50   #3
nacmancer

It's been a month now and there is no update on my Vortex Vanquish binocular I sent in for warranty, I sent it in March 7. I imagined it would of arrived at my front porch any time the last week, I've read the turn around time could sometimes take 3 weeks.
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 14:19   #4
jgraider

That's the chance you take with Chinese optics.
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 14:20   #5
gbt3

Ordered Vortex D200(old version of Dback 8X28) which was advertised as such, but received the replacement DB200. Dealer probably thought it was doing me a favor...not so...worst CA I've even seen.
All the way thru sweetspot to edges in every low to high contrast view.
Granted I haven't looked through hundreds of binos for comparison, but I can't believe this one was passed.
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 14:37   #6
black crow

In the last couple of months my customer service experiences have convinced me that except for maybe one or two of the very top tier companies customer service and quality control is going to be a crapshoot everywhere. I finally decided not to stay mad about this and just consider this part of the process. I have a little theory about this that may or may not be true to some extent. There was a time in the past when people went into a profession based on an interest for what was being produced. That still happens of course but much more rarely. Most people just need to find a job and hopefully one that pays well. This over time creates an I don't give a s___ attitude based in boredom and possibly resentment. Why care if the customer is happy if you don't even care about what you sold them?
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 17:13   #7
Pileatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
In the last couple of months my customer service experiences have convinced me that except for maybe one or two of the very top tier companies customer service and quality control is going to be a crapshoot everywhere. I finally decided not to stay mad about this and just consider this part of the process. I have a little theory about this that may or may not be true to some extent. There was a time in the past when people went into a profession based on an interest for what was being produced. That still happens of course but much more rarely. Most people just need to find a job and hopefully one that pays well. This over time creates an I don't give a s___ attitude based in boredom and possibly resentment. Why care if the customer is happy if you don't even care about what you sold them?
Poor customer service is precisely why people pony up the cash for an alpah like a Swarovski. Over the years we sent an 8X32 SV and 8.5X42 SV in for service (minor but annoying problems) . Both came back in absolutely perfect condition and have proven to be reliable field optics. I'd hate to be on a 16-day vacation and have optics fail in any way, shape or form. When I'm a few thousand miles from home a lifetime, transferable, do-anything warranty is useless.
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 17:39   #8
jgraider

Agree with you on Swaro's outstanding warranty and customer service. After all, they modeled it after Leupold, who set the standard by which all others are judged to this day.
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 18:22   #9
black crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
Poor customer service is precisely why people pony up the cash for an alpah like a Swarovski. Over the years we sent an 8X32 SV and 8.5X42 SV in for service (minor but annoying problems) . Both came back in absolutely perfect condition and have proven to be reliable field optics. I'd hate to be on a 16-day vacation and have optics fail in any way, shape or form. When I'm a few thousand miles from home a lifetime, transferable, do-anything warranty is useless.
It's a sad thing when you have to pay extra so people will keep their promises.
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 18:32   #10
Maljunulo

Are we discussing the glasses which many claim are "almost a good as the alphas at a fraction of the price"?

It doesn't sound quite that way to me. I'll keep my Swarovskis under my jacket to avoid being called an optics snob and being told about all the money I "wasted" when I could have done "almost as well".

Horsepuckey!
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 19:19   #11
black crow

Sometimes they are pretty close at a fraction of the price. I have several pair I think qualify and I have owned Swarovski's and Top of the line Kowa's so at least I can say i've compared them. One pair are Eagle Optics Rangers that were not expensive in the least. I've had them for years and no issues but I do remember hearing they could be trusted as far as customer service and repair goes.

If people are calling you a snob it's out of envy. Ignore that.
Old Friday 6th April 2018, 19:29   #12
Xlr8n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacmancer View Post
It's been a month now and there is no update on my Vortex Vanquish binocular I sent in for warranty, I sent it in March 7. I imagined it would of arrived at my front porch any time the last week, I've read the turn around time could sometimes take 3 weeks.
Do you happen to have a phone? Perhaps a call to their CS line would answer more questions than Bird Forum.
Old Saturday 7th April 2018, 12:05   #13
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
Do you happen to have a phone? Perhaps a call to their CS line would answer more questions than Bird Forum.
That's probably true but it sure makes one feel good to vent every once in a while!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 7th April 2018, 12:07   #14
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
That's the chance you take with Chinese optics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Agree with you on Swaro's outstanding warranty and customer service. After all, they modeled it after Leupold, who set the standard by which all others are judged to this day.
All true. Also nice that SONA can take care of most issues rather than having to be shipped overseas for 3, 4, 5 months for those of us in the US.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 7th April 2018, 13:24   #15
Xlr8n

I'd recommend giving them a call. Their customer service is largely known as outstanding.

A few weeks ago I bought a discontinued Vortex Tripod in the Bargain Cave at Cabela's. It was missing the mounting plate which I later learned was a proprietary size. I gave Vortex a call to see if they stocked a spare to purchase and the parts guys said "give me your address and I'll drop one in the mail". I told him I bought it as a returned item and would gladly pay for the plate, but he insisted on giving me one. It was in my mailbox 2 days later.
Old Sunday 8th April 2018, 02:10   #16
nacmancer

I had to email them a copy of my Amazon receipt to them Friday, waiting on a response on them.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: