• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck. Lithuania (1 Viewer)

marius.k

Hi,
Any ideas about this duck? Bird was seen today at Ventės Ragas. (West Lithuania)
Foto © V. Eigirdas

Last edited:
The shape of the head resembles Goldeneye, the face pattern almost fits Red Crested Pochard. Is it a juvenile Smew? The body is qite brown though

The tail id downward sloping, the white speculum, lack of super and head shape are all in favour od Goldeneye, the bill shape against as is the face pattern. The bill shape and face pattern suit Smew. Common Scoter roughly suits face pattern and overall body colour. I don't see any Wood Duck features though, it has a large bill no supercilium, a speculum and a downward pointing tail, all against Wood. The only pro Wood Duck feature I can see is tail length but there are plenty of other ducks with long tails.
What about Northern Pintail x RC Pochard? The Speculum, tail length and bill are ok for NP, with the face pattern and body colour good and bill for RCP

There is no photo but NP x RCP is mentioned here

Last edited:
Pintail X RC Pochard isnt a bad shout, I get a definite Pintail feeling from it, I was thinking Pintail X Wood Duck but I guess Pintail X RC Pochard fits and gives a kind of Wood Duck look to it.

As much I look at it I'm getting an impression that this bird must have something from Wood duck genotype or from Hooded merganser. Very long tail, long and thin bill, crest impresion. I think all of this talks about one of those birds hybrid.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back