Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New nest box, new bird

Old Monday 9th April 2018, 08:23   #1
Julian61

New nest box, new bird

I received a silver birch nest box as a present last year. We have a patch of oak woodland as part of our land so I put the box up on one of the trees along with several existing standard boxes. Over the years we've only ever had blue tits nest. With this new style box a new species has come along - a pair of tree sparrows, uncommon birds for our immediate area so a real delight. Is there any correlation between nest box type (same sized hole) and species?
Old Monday 9th April 2018, 09:37   #2
coaltit

Hi julian, yes that sounds quite Interesting I,d like to think there was a correlation between the nestbox type and Species thou to get any real feedback on that a scientific survey would be the way forward, personally myself I,ve never seen tree sparrows nesting in silver birch, but along with starlings I have in ash trees and sometimes without any cover (As in foliage) Just keep putting the silver birch nest box,s up where you can and good luck.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: