• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca - Lark confirmation please (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
A friend sent me this, taken recently by his brother on Mallorca, asking for confirmation that this is a Crested Lark. I believe Thekla is also found on the island, but I have no recent experience of either species (been over 10 years since I've seen Thekla, 15 for Crested), but would reckon this to be Crested based on bill length mainly, but I am far from sure, and would appreciate any input from anyone more used to separating these species.

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20180505_.jpg
    20180505_.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 147
Just looked on Ebird, which has no records of Crested Lark on Mallorca at all, which would therefore presumably make this a Thekla. Initially I had looked on the Mallorca checklist on Avibase which includes Crested, with no qualifications on vagrancy etc, hence my impression both species were possible.

I read somewhere the Crested Lark is more often on the ground whilst the Thekla Lark can be found more often on a bush or a wire or a fence

I read somewhere the Crested Lark is more often on the ground whilst the Thekla Lark can be found more often on a bush or a wire or a fence

I think that almost all, CL I have ever seen, have been on the ground, they seem to like car parks and road sides.

A

I'm currently on Lesvos & though there are many Crested Larks on the ground here they are frequently on wires & fences too.

I'm currently on Lesvos & though there are many Crested Larks on the ground here they are frequently on wires & fences too.

True indeed. Here in the Algarve we have plenty of both species. Thekla's use the ground most of the time and although admitedly perch quite frequently on bushes etc. they are most often seen on the ground. This behaviour trait is not an ID pointer IMO - at best a slight hint. Much better are field marks and calls/song. A field mark not often mentioned is the contrast of the rusty central feathers on Thekla's that is plain on Crested. Its a feature that is usually easily seen if looked for. Another feature, and a very good pointer I find, is shape - somehow Crested is a slightly longer bird whilst Thekla's is more chunky - even recalling a Woodlark, well at least in comparison to Crested. Like many similar species pairs they actually become fairly straightforward once you've got your eye in.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back