• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just got me a Z1! but HELP!!!! (1 Viewer)

Pebs

Hi

I have just got myself a new dimage Z1! :) I'm very excited! thing is thou i am having trouble understanding all the technical names and advice in the book the cam came with, I am a novice and now i feel like it!

The camera has letters on the dail and the book tells you how to use them but not why! even the how gets me confused I think having dyslexia doesn't help.... I guess i would learn over time but a little pointer in the right direction would be a blessed thing!

So a cry out to all users of the Z1 please if someone could advise me on a website that explains this camera in very plain english or wouldn't mind taking the time to explain or talk me through this i would be very thankfull!!!!!!!!!

Pebs

I went out last night a played with my new Z1, however i have to say i am not happy with the quality of the pics i was taking, I took over a hundred but out of all them there was only maybe three or four that actually looked in focus and ok! the rest were either too blurry or grainy!

I have to admit that i was trying to get close ups of the hills surrounding D tower that were a good few miles away but even when i focused out back home the pics looked grainy and blurred maybe it is me, I have also found that this happens when macro zooming!

So been thinking would an add on len help with the problem or is it the fact the pic were taken while I was holding the cam?

However I am not sure about a tripod.... will it allow me flexibility in movement when positioning the camera?

Has anyone else had this problem and is there ways round this?

You really need to post some pictures up, Pebs - it's all but impossible to say what the problem might be without the evidence...

But "taking 100, keeping 4" isn't at all unusual in itself - that's par for the course for everyone.

Yes I agree with Kieth show us some examples of the problem.

Some days you bin all the shots other days if the light is good and a good subject you may keep 80% of the shots. There are no gaurantees that you will get a good shot ever time.

Being relaxed, thinking about the shot and taking your time often helps.

The number of shots I've lost because I have snatched them instead of taking that extra second or two to check everthing is OK.

Robert

I have put some of the pics on that didn't go right....I have a feeling its me!

I guess your right its learning not to snatch but to take my time in finding the right conditions when shooting.

All part of learning!

Now that i have gone back and looked at them today not all of them are as bad as i thought they were last night!

Attachments

• 13th of sept 05 023.jpg
    13th of sept 05 023.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 343
  • 13th of sept 05 024.JPG
    13th of sept 05 024.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 367
  • 13th of sept 05 030.jpg
    13th of sept 05 030.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 349
I have had a Z1 for some time now and really like it although I think it is somewhat dated with the new Z3 and Z5's coming out. It does take some time to get use to and work with. I do not like the inside photo taking capabilities because it seems you get a lot of blurry photo's. I find the action setting on the dial to be one that I get the best outdoor photos with especially of bird's. Auto works well to and the flash seems to be good. I hopefully am going to upgrade to a Z3 or Z5 next year. Also get energizer rechargable batteries and that will take care of that problem. I have the 30 minute rechargable batteries and they will last for quite a long time compared to normal batteries. One other thing becareful with the battery cover I had one of the pieces that hold it in place break. I can still use the camers but seeing it is 2 years old now I am going to have to pay for a new cover.

Last edited:
Steve
do you have any extras i.e. lens etc for your Z1 just was thinking about it so i could improve the pics so just wondered if you had any and if so which and are they any good??

Pebs said:
Hi

I have just got myself a new dimage Z1! :) I'm very excited! thing is thou i am having trouble understanding all the technical names and advice in the book the cam came with, I am a novice and now i feel like it!

The camera has letters on the dail and the book tells you how to use them but not why! even the how gets me confused I think having dyslexia doesn't help.... I guess i would learn over time but a little pointer in the right direction would be a blessed thing!

So a cry out to all users of the Z1 please if someone could advise me on a website that explains this camera in very plain english or wouldn't mind taking the time to explain or talk me through this i would be very thankfull!!!!!!!!!

Pebs

Hi there.
I am a relative newcommer to this site, But not to photography.I have been using the Minolta for a good number of years I recently went into Digital Photography but I stayed with Minolta. My present one is Diamage Z2, They are an exelent range. The Letters that you are refering to are "Shutter Priority" A=Aparture( Size of the hole that the lens is functioning,
S= Speed. The amount of Time that the shutter is open for.
P= Program Mode. ( Lets the Camera's sensors set the Exposure Time and Aparture).
M= Manual. (This allows you to overide the settings and chose your own )
Untill you are fully confidant with the Camera, you would be wise to use the P Setting (Program Mode) and leave the others alone for a while. Get to know what the camera will do and when it will function best. Then when you are feeling brave, Try the other settings.
All the best with it. And I am sure that the camera will not let you down.
If I can be of furthur Help please by almeans you can drop me an E Mail.
Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Hello Pebs.
I have been using a Z1 for over a year and have had some great results on various settings using both telephoto (birds) and macro (insects) have a look at my gallery.
What i like about the Z1 is it's ease of use, just flick it to auto and it's virtually point and shoot. It's my first digital camera and i like the ability of being able to erase any unwanted shots.
I have been using a 35mm for the past 22 years and understand a bit about the basics, which i would say you need for a camera like the Z1. It took me a while to get the hang of mine and there's still features i dont use/ dont understand.
The best way to learn is by reading all the instructions both in the book and on the CD, then going out and practising. you can take as many shots as you want and erase the lot if you dont like them!
Looking at your sunset shots (is that a spaceship on the horizon?) they may have been blurry due to low light, leading to the Z1 choosing a slow shutter speed resulting in camera shake - try a tripod and a cable release (or self timer if you dont have a cable release)
The Z1 also has a twilight setting especially for sunset photos.
Grainy shots (or noise in the digital world) could be due to a high ISO 400 setting.In manual mode, check menu/sensitivity and re-set to ISO 50 or set to auto. (I use auto)
There is also a landscape setting - for just that.
Have a good practice and you will get familiar with it, i'm still learning myself.
If all else fails, flick it to auto and you won't go far wrong - that's what i do!

Good luck.
Alan.

I still have a Z1 and some of my best pics were taken with it but only after learning how to use it.
You have to learn a technique for keeping it steady - it's weighs nothing - breath out, breath in & hold, only use the viewfinder with the camera pressed against your face.
Left arm supports the lens with elbow braced against chest.
For moving objects I found pressing the 'macro' button was the quickest way to engage continuous auto focus.
My favourite shots ever are of Turnstones taken with the Z1 at 380mm.
Big downside to all small point & shoot cameras is that they need plenty of light or all you get is grainy pics.

I do find that keeping still when taking a pic really hard, so i will use your technique chris and see if i get better results. other than that a tripod was my next option.

I also find that using my zoom makes the pics look at a bit fuuny an example of this is the butterfly shots that i put on the gallery a while back, I can't put a word to the look. but i guess you could say it lacks clarity.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back