• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twin-spotted Quaker (1 Viewer)

Cuckoo-shrike

Would this example, taken at actinic light last night, qualify as ab. immaculata, or is it just a variation on the norm? There were actually two, both very similar.
Andy

Me too Andy, It's a form I never get in my area unfortunately, although there is a great range of ground colour in local specimens from a very pale greyish brown through to dark brown or grey. Nice picture as well

Harry Eales,

Thanks Chris and Harry. Would the whole of the local population be of this form or can both exist side by side? These two are the only ones of this sp. I have caught so far.
Andy

Good morning Aquila,

It may be possible that this is the dominant form of the Twin-spot Quaker in your area. With two thirds of your county surrounded by water there is only a relatively narrow band of land through which an exchange of new genetic material can take place. However on the basis of only two specimens seen, it may be unlikely.

Many species do vary in different parts of the country but this is mainly due to geographical variation. In my recording area (Northumberland and Co.Durham) for example. The Grey Chi appears mainly as the var.olivacea The typical form is very scarce indeed. Similarly the Ruby Tiger appears in it's typical form in the lowlands, but on the moors and uplands the form borealis is dominant. It's not purely a Scottish form as many of the textbooks state.

The easiest way to find out if your TsQ is simply a local variation or the dominant form in your county would be to contact your County Recorder and ask him. Otherwise it's a case of, carry on trapping and find out for yourself, it's all part of the pleasure of recording.

It's more likely that immaculata is the commonest form in your local area. As I stated above it is a very variable species.

Harry Eales.

Hi Harry
Thanks for that - fascinating stuff! I hope to catch a few more of these in the coming weeks, so I'll let you know.
Had a V-Pug last night, which seems quite early.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back