• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Carpet f. thules ??? (1 Viewer)

SleepyLizard

Well as a newbie let's hope I'm at least correct in saying the linked photo is a Garden Carpet (Xanthorhoe fluctuata)

However, more specifically, I was wondering if you more experienced folk consider this to be the form "thule" or just the stock standard Garden Carpet. It's not as dark as some photos I've seen however it does have a relatively dark background with less contrast of the wing markings.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/Xanthorhoe-fluctuata2.jpg

Alan

SleepyLizard said:
Well as a newbie let's hope I'm at least correct in saying the linked photo is a Garden Carpet (Xanthorhoe fluctuata)

However, more specifically, I was wondering if you more experienced folk consider this to be the form "thule" or just the stock standard Garden Carpet. It's not as dark as some photos I've seen however it does have a relatively dark background with less contrast of the wing markings.

Alan
It looks like one to me Alan, well done! ;)

Can't argue with that. Any Garden carpets I've seen have had near enough a white background and so the contrast is quite marked

Thank you Roger and Angus. When your new to something it's always good to get confirmation that your not barking up the wrong tree :)

SleepyLizard said:

However, more specifically, I was wondering if you more experienced folk consider this to be the form "thules" or just the stock standard Garden Carpet. It's not as dark as some photos I've seen however it does have a relatively dark background with less contrast of the wing markings.

Alan

Hello Alan,
That's about as near as you will get to the thules form in X.fluctuata There are other minor variants in colour similar to it. Most of the 'Carpets' vary somewhat, don't worry about it. It has about the same significance as a Blackbird, with one white feather.

Harry Eales.

Last edited:
Thanks Harry - I'm mainly trying to ensure some of my ID's are correct as I need more experience. I don't have a moth trap, just a kitchen window, so I'm only getting 1 or maybe 2 moths a night to practice identifying them :) Had a nice Streamer last night.

Alan

When we first started Alan, we hung a white sheet up below our patio light and had some excellent results. So, not having a trap doesn't mean you won't get some good moths!

Keren

Thanks Keren, I shall try that.

I did try wine and sugar on some rope but all I got was one caterpillar :) I'll try that afain later in the season.

alan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back