• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Cook's new book 3 Axis Binocular Collimation (1 Viewer)

doug el10x32

Hi,

To compliment Bill's other binocular book 'Fallacy & Fact', I have just received his next book concerning 3-Axis binocular collimation.

This is another very interesting and delightfull read on the topic of binoculars. It does add a whole new dimension (sorry !) to the matter of binocular collimation. Although I have used Eccentric Ring collimation in the past on dare I say cheaper and less complex binoculars, the concepts in Bill's new book provide a detailed discussion on what is actually a much more complicated topic.

Looking forward now to reading this book from cover to cover.

Doug.......

Hi,

To compliment Bill's other binocular book 'Fallacy & Fact', I have just received his next book concerning 3-Axis binocular collimation.

This is another very interesting and delightfull read on the topic of binoculars. It does add a whole new dimension (sorry !) to the matter of binocular collimation. Although I have used Eccentric Ring collimation in the past on dare I say cheaper and less complex binoculars, the concepts in Bill's new book provide a detailed discussion on what is actually a much more complicated topic.

Looking forward now to reading this book from cover to cover.

Doug.......

Thanks for the kind words. After doing one or two collimation jobs, you will find it easier than learning to ride a bike ... I promise.

From the Epilogue:

"Also, while I would like to be a nice person, I hope this little book drives a stake through the heart of that popular but insidious notion that a clinically accurate binocular collimation job can be “easily” accomplished by the haphazard tweaking a few through-the-body prism adjustment screws ... on whichever side feels good at the time.

'Being far too human, I can’t prevent myself from getting wrapped around the axle thinking of how many instruments can be misaligned even more or perhaps damaged by the inexperienced but trusting people who are deceived by this claptrap." :cat:

I've read Bill's book as well. Anybody who doesn't get the concept of what three axis collimation should not try to repair binoculars (probably some who do get the concept should stay from small screw drivers too) ;). Good read and worth the price of admission.

I'm in the second category Steve. Understand the 3 axis basic concept and even once had access to a collimator, but it was always a 50/50 proposition on whether the binoculars themselves survived surgery. Hats off to technicians, practicing and retired, with hard-learned experience who can actually get the job done!

I'm in the second category Steve. Understand the 3 axis basic concept and even once had access to a collimator, but it was always a 50/50 proposition on whether the binoculars themselves survived surgery. Hats off to technicians, practicing and retired, with hard-learned experience who can actually get the job done!

Hi, Jack, as opposed to hyjack:

Did you get that collimator from Deutsch Optics repair department after the company sold out! :cat:

This was due out in a few months, haven’t finished saving my beer money for it yet ;-)
Great to see another volume of binocular wisdom.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back