• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help please (1 Viewer)

Freako

Not sure where to post this thread, but do any of you guys have experience of two way windows for bird hides? I am looking for some for my bird hide, not sure if it not sure if it needs to be glass or acrylic with a film to it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

My local nature reserve uses acrylic windows,they are useless for shooting through.Birds get used to people & open windows are fine.

My local nature reserve uses acrylic windows,they are useless for shooting through.Birds get used to people & open windows are fine.

Thanks for your reply Steve, I wasn't expecting to shoot through it but have a hole for the lens in the centre.

I used neutral density perspex, had birds sitting just a few inches away and they never saw me, you just have to make sure no light gets in the hide from anywhere else.

Beware of having a filter on your lens. I set up a camcorder on a tripod and a short distance from a bird-feeder outside a hide, from where I watched the action. Many of the birds would approach the feeder, and fly away just before landing. I guessed that they were catching their reflections in the filter on the camcorder, so I removed it, and this made a big difference. Birds would then approach and land on the feeder, as they had been doing before I mounted my camcorder close to them. (The typically convex form of the camcorder's lens makes any reflected image much smaller and darker than one from a plain, possibly uncoated filter - as I expect mine was, being a polarising filter, aimed at enhancing the colours in their feathers.)

Beware of having a filter on your lens. I set up a camcorder on a tripod and a short distance from a bird-feeder outside a hide, from where I watched the action. Many of the birds would approach the feeder, and fly away just before landing. I guessed that they were catching their reflections in the filter on the camcorder, so I removed it, and this made a big difference. Birds would then approach and land on the feeder, as they had been doing before I mounted my camcorder close to them. (The typically convex form of the camcorder's lens makes any reflected image much smaller and darker than one from a plain, possibly uncoated filter - as I expect mine was, being a polarising filter, aimed at enhancing the colours in their feathers.)

Thanks Malcolm, I never use a filter on my lens anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back