• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First day out with new 8x32 EL's (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
I finally managed to get out in the field with my new 8x32 EL’s today after 4 days of rain and gales.
I have small hands and PD of 61 and must say the bins felt very comfortable for me. Although I wear glasses for driving I do not wear them in the field or with Bins (both my eyes are more or less the same and diopter setting was 0 !). For me the view was crystal clear with stunning colours and I found it very easy to hit the focus spot. I will get a pair of winged eyecups to further enhance the view as I was conscious of side light at times (but only when I was thing about it |:d| ).
All in all I am very please with the binoculars and would like the thank all of you knowledgeable people here on Birdforum for your great help and advice :t::t::t:

Last edited:
I finally managed to get out in the field with my new 8x32 EL’s today after 4 days of rain and gales.

Hi Roy,

great you like 'em - as for the weather - there is this old saying of one week of bad weather per inch of objective diameter of your new scope... so 4 days is actually not too bad ;-)

Joachim

Hi Roy,

great you like 'em - as for the weather - there is this old saying of one week of bad weather per inch of objective diameter of your new scope... so 4 days is actually not too bad ;-)

Joachim
Haha nice one Joachim :-O . Trouble is when you get a new toy its hard to wait 5 days before you can get out to play ;)

Haha nice one Joachim :-O . Trouble is when you get a new toy its hard to wait 5 days before you can get out to play ;)

Now just imagine you had gotten a new 20" Dobsonian astro telescope and all your friends in the stargazing club hate you for five months of bad weather ;-)

Joachim

Hi Roy. Just out of curiosity, how do you find the strap lugs? I tried both the 8x32 ELs and the Leica 8x32 HD + but found the lugs on the ELs made holding them uncomfortable so went with the Leicas.

Hi Roy. Just out of curiosity, how do you find the strap lugs? I tried both the 8x32 ELs and the Leica 8x32 HD + but found the lugs on the ELs made holding them uncomfortable so went with the Leicas.
Hi Craig, I have no problems at all - with my thumb's in the sculptured intents on the barrel I cannot even feel the lugs when I am focussing/viewing. I guess it depends on the hand size and grip but they suit me just fine, I have small hands which is suspect helps a lot.

Hi Craig, I have no problems at all - with my thumb's in the sculptured intents on the barrel I cannot even feel the lugs when I am focussing/viewing. I guess it depends on the hand size and grip but they suit me just fine, I have small hands which is suspect helps a lot.

Roy:

I think the 8x32 EL is the most ergonomically great binocular that I have found.
It just fits perfectly, I have the earlier SV model.
It does everything right with the wide 8* field of view, and it is so bright and
sharp.

I think it does deserve its ranking as the best 8x32 binocular available.

Congratulations, and enjoy in good health.

Jerry

Roy:

I think the 8x32 EL is the most ergonomically great binocular that I have found.
It does everything right with the wide 8* field of view, and it is so bright and
sharp.

Jerry
You are correct. :t:
The 8X32 SE can match the 8X32 SV optically but it's not as user friendly. My wife set her SE aside for the SV and has never looked back, thus making the 8X32 SV the best bin in its class.

Congrats on the new 8x32 EL's! You'll love them.

I've been using mine almost every day for about 9 months, and am still very impressed. They've seen use from dense woods to high mountain terrain, and they are fantastic. For me, they are in the sweet spot- small enough to travel and hike with, but large enough to yield great performance.

Enjoy them.

To this day I wonder if I didn't make a mistake in choosing the 10X42, but then I remember a couple of late dusk views that blew my mind.

The 8X32 are absolutely breathtaking though.

Roy:

sharp.

Jerry

I think you are right Jerry. At least I haven't found any 8X32 that i like better. There may not be ANY binocular I like better.

Enjoy them.

To this day I wonder if I didn't make a mistake in choosing the 10X42, but then I remember a couple of late dusk views that blew my mind.

The 8X32 are absolutely breathtaking though.

Maljunulo,

How do you find the 10x42 EL SV for steady handling? I tried one in a shop but that's just for five-ten minutes, not pointing up into the trees and getting tired. But I like the open hinge design. Do you find the bins a bit front heavy? I've been spoilt by a free demo of SFs.

Thanks,

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back