• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Spoonbill (1 Viewer)

Kevin Wade

Spain
Posting this picture of an African Spoonbill, Platalea alba, found by John Butler, while guiding myself and Mark Walters in an area John calls "the reedbeds", close to Dehesa de Abajo in the Doñana area on 6 July. It was feeding in the company of two Eurasian Spoonbills. This is probably the same bird that was first discovered by John on the 6th October 2002 and has been seen now and again in the area . It was still there on the 7 July, when I revisited the site alone, and took this photograph. Thanks to John for a great days birding!

Attachments

• africanspoonbill.jpg
    africanspoonbill.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 303
Nice pic Kevin,
any idea whether it's a gen. wild vagrant or not?
Southern Spain must have great potential for all sorts of fruity Afrotropical stuff.
James

James Lowther said:
Nice pic Kevin,
any idea whether it's a gen. wild vagrant or not?
Southern Spain must have great potential for all sorts of fruity Afrotropical stuff.
James

Hi James.

The bird in question was originally found by me on the 6th of October 2002 and has remained in the Doñana region, with subsequent sightings, since then.
It was ratified by the Spanish Rarities Committee as only the 7th fully tickable African Spoonbill for Spain and details of this can be seen in the SRC's "Ardeola No 51(2)" which was published this year. This makes it a Mega rarity for Spain.

Thanks to Kevin for posting the photo. i also managed to get him Pin-tailed Sandgrouse on the tour, a "lifer" that had eluded him on numerous independent visits to Doñana.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

John Butler said:
Hi James.

The bird in question was originally found by me on the 6th of October 2002 and has remained in the Doñana region, with subsequent sightings, since then.
It was ratified by the Spanish Rarities Committee as only the 7th fully tickable African Spoonbill for Spain and details of this can be seen in the SRC's "Ardeola No 51(2)" which was published this year. This makes it a Mega rarity for Spain.

Thanks to Kevin for posting the photo. i also managed to get him Pin-tailed Sandgrouse on the tour, a "lifer" that had eluded him on numerous independent visits to Doñana.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

If it has been accepted as genuine, what does that do to the status of the long staying Welsh African Spoonbill, present since last Autumn? Apparently not a very good chance of vagrancy we are told.

So where exactly is the Welsh residing African Spoonbill supposed to have escaped from?
I've seen the bird many times in the last year, and indeed videoed it (badly). No one I've spoken to has yet come up with a reserve in Britain or nearby mainland Europe that's lost one, or indeed keeps them.
I'm not saying for a moment that it is a wild bird, but would like some idea where it might have come from. It's not the sort of bird you could forget that you owned, is it?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back